Great tool.

Story: aptoncd - Take your Debian / Ubuntu repository with youTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
cr

Dec 29, 2007
8:19 PM EDT
I installed it on my main MEPIS 6.5 system; once all the dependencies listed in the INSTALL file were apt-getted, the tarball installed and ran without a hitch (it's all Gtk/Python inside, so no compiling was involved). The tool divvied up everything in my /var/cache/apt/archives/ stash into two CDs with only one cross-dependency; right now I'm doing a mass-update of the other MEPIS machines on my LAN.

Prior to this, I could still update those machines without suffering through repeated downloads (on our dialup connection), but that was done by copying the *.debs into the target machine's /var/cache/apt/archives/ so that, when Synaptic went looking for what it still needed from the repositories, it found them "already downloaded" ...but that meant either mass-copying (including files never installed on that machine) or processing the update dependencies by hand.

Color me happy.
jezuch

Dec 30, 2007
2:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Prior to this, I could still update those machines without suffering through repeated downloads (on our dialup connection), but that was done by copying the *.debs into the target machine's /var/cache/apt/archives/

Weren't apt-proxy and apt-cacher[-ng] designed for just that? And with them you don't even have to run around with the CDs :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!