another one

Story: PCLinuxOS "GNOME 2.21.2" ReviewTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
nikkels

Dec 30, 2007
1:35 AM EDT
It seems to me that these days the bloggers fingers are much faster than their brains. This gnome edition is a remaster of the original, just like there are remasters for music orientated PCLinuxOS, Business orientated pclos or light weight pclos.( Tinyme or Tinyflux ) and Sam

The official one is the KDE one

As far as the updates is concerned, well I guess I am extremely lucky, as I have done this month only about 15 automatic updates, and none gave me a problem...which doesn't mean that the blogger is wrong....shit is all over the place these days.
pres

Dec 30, 2007
4:37 AM EDT
Did anyone at LXer even read this alleged "review" before assigning the headline ? Sorry to be rude but it was a complete waste of time. The "review" was not a review and did not have any kind of analysis of the OS, it did not make sense grammatically and seemed to be written by a 12 year old, and it spent most of its verbiage talking about Microsoft and the XBOX. Is this the best that LXer can do ? If so then it's going to be removed from my RSS feed.

pres
newmikey

Dec 30, 2007
8:35 AM EDT
I update through Synaptic at least on a weekly basis and have not had a problem to date, or it would be switching to another repo temporarily and hitting "reload".
usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
pres Don't disable the rss on my account. For most people if you get a fresh copy of PCLinuxOS 2007, mark all the updates and programs that you need and hit apply it just goes gunnybag when you reboot. I've had numerous people report the same problem.

Ya I might have jumped the gun assuming that PCLinuxOS's next release will be Gnome but then again maybe not. You see even though it's marked as a community remaster it has the PCLinuxOS train of support behind it pushing it along like it's their main distro from what I see. I don't have a problem with that but I have a few questions that have not been answered at least by PCLinuxOS.

PCLinuxOS forum members told me that the reason they have not released their 2008 or even a second 2007 distro is because they have to get all the bugs worked out. When I do the updates I have the problems I said I have. After putting two and two together I come to the conclusion that the distro just isn't stable any more with all the updates and major programs installed. This was the reason I started using it.

Now if PCLinuxOS does not put out a 2008 until later in the year Gnome is all we will have and to me that would be their new release weather it's a remaster or not.

Personally I moved to Mint (putting personal feelings aside here) because the driver support is much better and they now have the KDE release that works better than PCLinuxOS in several ways. It works on all the new hardware with no problems. I have had two instances where installing it on laptops has saved my baken.

Thats why the newest Ultumix will be another version of Mint if they give me their blessing. They haven't passed judgment yet.
Abe

Dec 30, 2007
10:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Sorry to be rude but it was a complete waste of time.
I agree this article is silly and has no beef, but it is not Lxer's fault linking to it.

No article is waste of time reading, one always learn new information and no matter how small it is.

Having said that, I believe the reason PCLOS is offering a GNOME desktop is to compete with Ubuntu and cater to its users.

I was never a GNOME user although I tried it on occasions. From the screen shots, I think PCLOS did a pretty good job and much better than what Ubuntu did with GNOME. But that is only eye candy and there is a lot more to consider.

GNOME fan boys (not developers) are taking advantage of the transition period of a new platform development to declare victory, but I believe KDE developers will surprise everyone when they officially release KDE 4.

In my opinion, KDE 3.5.x is still better than recent GNOME release. Its developers have a long term strategy and planned a long term development process. They are in its first phase of deployment and following the famous FOSS process of the community participating in determining its direction and help in its success as fast as possible.

I estimate, within the course of 2008, KDE 4 will be 3-4 yrs ahead of GNOME in the areas of technical merit and eye candy.

tuxchick

Dec 30, 2007
11:18 AM EDT
Readers will forgive a few grammatical and spelling errors as long the content is sound. Though IMO it's a disgrace to not have a basic command of one's native language. But I digress. It's more important to have your facts lined up before you publish, and to present a coherent basis for your opinion. Yeah, I know a lot of folks make their livings writing garbage (Enderle, Lyons, O'Gara, Dvorak, etc.), but all they get out of it are paychecks, and the kinds of fans that normal people avoid like toxic waste. Though I do appreciate the subtle humor of "(this is a non-biased post)"; that was a nice touch. It almost made up for the dizzying topic change to the unsupported, and possibly libelous, allegations of Microsoft breaking laws with the XBox.

pres, Scott Ruecker wrote a good post on his editorial policy in this thread: http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/26505/ I know, some articles are so bad I want to throw lighted matches at them. But it doesn't take long to recognize which ones to avoid.
ColonelPanik

Dec 30, 2007
1:50 PM EDT
tuxchick, Well said.
usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
Your right Tuxchick except one thing. There is a college that has proof that the XBOX is breaking laws to the extent that I mentioned.
usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
4:30 PM EDT
It looks like the Ubuntu / Kubuntu communities are saying that Gnome is king. I would have to agree if only Ubuntu and Kubuntu existed but thankfully they are not the only distributions. Not that I want to slam Ubuntu because thanks to them Mint has great hardware support. Thats very cool. I like Ubuntu's support but don't like the Gnome environment. A lot of people argue over which is better. Someone said that the KDE PCLinuxOS distro is due at the end of next month. That would come to as a shock to me because of all the problems they have been having with it. Of course I wish them well. It's too bad they had to slam me but I just don't care any more. I don't know if my screw up in this post or my screwups in my first versions of my OS were worse. I wish there was a delete function for this post. I would take it off lxer
nikkels

Dec 30, 2007
4:40 PM EDT
Yesterday, after reading the stupid article, I did a fresh install on a spare partition. I hit the reload button in Synaptic to get an updated list of whats available and started the update. Then I went to bed. This morning all was finished. I installed Nvidia drivers and a few others................I can't see anything broken.

Please, sir, stop writing crap. If I recall correctly, this is not the first time. You seem to like bashing .
tuxchick

Dec 30, 2007
6:15 PM EDT
usacomputertec, are you trolling? I too can say things like "Look at me, I am flying!" And you could believe it if you wanted to. But saying is not proof. You have no proof, nor even a decent argument. I'm starting to think you're just having us on.
Abe

Dec 30, 2007
6:38 PM EDT
Quoting:I wish there was a delete function for this post. I would take it off lxer

There is the "Edit" option right beneath the date of your post when logged-in. You could delete the text and leave a blank post.

If you mean to delete a whole thread, you need to talk with Scott or one of the editors.

usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
8:30 PM EDT
did you try updating your xorg and Kernel? Did you install the latest programs? Try that and reboot. You will get a mysterious error asking you to type your root password or press Ctrl D. Then you have to type startx to bring anything up. you can’t log in to other user accounts. Your alsa does not start automatically. Your hozed unless you reinstall your OS. The error specifically is Bad Superblock Error, and it recommends you fsck.

By the way what is trolling?
usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
8:30 PM EDT
Just checked I don't have edit functionality
Sander_Marechal

Dec 30, 2007
9:09 PM EDT
There should be an "edit" link left of your post, beneath your username and the posts date/time stamp.

Quoting:By the way what is trolling?

It's the act of being a Troll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
joel

Dec 31, 2007
7:07 AM EDT
1. usacomputertec, your problems stem from UPGRADING your kernel. That is a big time NO NO. To upgrade a kernel, we have to INSTALL the new one, then delete the old one later if we like the new one. It is also wise to keep an old one around just in case we mess up a new one. Then we don't have to reload the entire system. :)

2. For those who throw around the short 4-letter word s**t around, please don't. It is degrading to yourself and everyone who hears, reads, or sees it. I have spent a lot of years overcoming the use of vile and degrading language, and can report that there is a far greater realm of richer and more rewarding life available to all those who do so. Thank you. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

May all have a happy NEW YEAR, filled with peace and prosperity.
tracyanne

Jan 01, 2008
1:10 AM EDT
Quoting:2. For those who throw around the short 4-letter word s**t around, please don't. It is degrading to yourself and everyone who hears, reads, or sees it.

I have spent a lot of years overcoming the use of vile and degrading language, and can report that there is a far greater realm of richer and more rewarding life available to all those who do so. Thank you. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Get over yourself.
usacomputertec

Jan 01, 2008
1:25 AM EDT
joel I'm not as illiterate as you think. I know what happens when you update your kernel

I was raised on Fedora Core. I know how unstable stuff is and why. The problem here is not the kernel or the updates. If you do the updates you have no problem, if you just update the kernel you have no problem but if you install the kernel and then the updates you do have a problem.

Some tell me they don't have this problem but I don't think they are running SATA 64 bit computers (note error does not occur in VMWare)
usacomputertec

Jan 01, 2008
10:55 AM EDT
Wow I never realized there were people (trolls) like that. They must have sad lonely lives. I assume from what I've read that the one called newmikey is a troll. He sure has tried to put me to shame.

I was trying to reason with him and explain that I was not racist but I fell right into his trap. I now know that such people should be banned from any forum or topic. Thats just sad.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!