Res ipse loquitor, Indeed!

Story: At a Loss for WordsTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Jan 04, 2008
5:51 AM EDT
Guys/Gals, here is how FOSS wins. First we do nothing, then the Wizards of Redmond shoot themselves in the foot (feet actually) The we declare ourselves winner.

Start talking up OO.Org. or any other FOSS office office suite. Teach your office mates how to live free from the no longer supported product. This is the golden moment we have been waiting for.

What a dumb way to market that unOS.
dinotrac

Jan 04, 2008
6:13 AM EDT
Spectacular.

Those guys are bigger boobs (and not the good kind) than I had ever imagined.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 04, 2008
10:39 AM EDT
I've got some Word2 documents that MS Word stopped being able to read back in Office97.

The arrogance of Microsoft in terms of "compatibility" drove me to stop using their formats a long time ago. Now the only reason I have .DOC files is that someone else specifically asks for them so I keep a copy of things like my resume in .DOC files for them. Those that don't specify get .PDF.

OOo doesn't open them either, but I doubt there is much call for it.

It wouldn't bother me if MS decided to not have their software _save_ in the old formats (security? Liars! They care only about forcing upgrades.), they could at the very least continue to _open_ the old formats. That costs them nothing!

Scott_Ruecker

Jan 04, 2008
11:52 AM EDT
Where I work my other job I have quickly become "The Linux Guy" and I have had many co-workers come to me with questions and such. I have burned at least 10-15 disks of various Linux flavors and I am corresponding with many of them and holding a few hands along the way.

I don't mind, if me burning some CD's and making myself available to help them helps to spread the news about FOSS.

Well, its what I do.

:-)
DarrenR114

Jan 04, 2008
1:19 PM EDT
@Bob Robertson - whenever someone asks me for a file in .doc format, I give it to them in .rtf ...
jdixon

Jan 04, 2008
7:48 PM EDT
> Now the only reason I have .DOC files is that someone else specifically asks for them...

As someone else once pointed out, if you save a text file and rename it as a .doc file, Word will open it with no problems and the recipient will be none the wiser.
gus3

Jan 04, 2008
10:35 PM EDT
Quoting:if you save a text file and rename it as a .doc file, Word will open it with no problems and the recipient will be none the wiser.
But what about the security risks involved in that?

/ducks and runs
dinotrac

Jan 05, 2008
1:24 AM EDT
>But what about the security risks involved in that?

A legitimate question. Doc files retain a paper trail of revisions and supposedly deleted text that is missing from the rtf files. Without the .doc format, efforts to nail corporate wrongdoers and find out who's been sleeping with whom will be sorely compromised.

Another negative mark for open standards.
gus3

Jan 05, 2008
2:08 AM EDT
@dino:

Huh?

There is no revision history in a raw .txt file renamed to a .doc file.

Re. "security risk", read the "Res ipse loquitor" article.

My comment was a joke. Apparently, a really obtuse joke, not surprising given my track record.
dinotrac

Jan 05, 2008
5:20 AM EDT
gus3 -

>My comment was a joke. Apparently, a really obtuse joke, not surprising given my track record.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 05, 2008
9:53 AM EDT
> Without the .doc format, efforts to nail corporate wrongdoers and find out who's been sleeping with whom will be sorely compromised.

Obviously someone bucking for prosecutor. :^)

I _LIKE_ that idea about renaming .txt to .doc. Very pretty answer.
jdixon

Jan 05, 2008
11:02 AM EDT
Re: Dino's response to Gus3's comment.

Gus3, you obviously left Dino speechless. That's a rare feat. You should treasure it. :)
jdixon

Jan 05, 2008
11:04 AM EDT
> Another negative mark for open standards.

I haven't used Open Office and it's kin all that much. Does ODF not support a revision trail? I would think it would, though it might be an optional feature.
gus3

Jan 05, 2008
12:57 PM EDT
@jdixon:

> Gus3, you obviously left Dino speechless. That's a rare feat. You should treasure it. :)

The best feats happen with little effort. Kind of like Mr. Miyagi's way of being somewhere else when the approaching fist finally landed.

> Does ODF not support a revision trail?

It does. It is not turned on by default in the standard templates.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!