petulant? or rightfully ticked off?

Story: Intel dumps OLPC, Negroponte loses itTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 06, 2008
11:25 AM EDT
I guess the author of this article didn't read his own links. From the New York Times:

Quoting: A frail partnership between Intel and the One Laptop Per Child educational computing group was undone last month in part by an Intel saleswoman: She tried to persuade a Peruvian official to drop the country’s commitment to buy a quarter-million of the organization’s laptops in favor of Intel PCs.

And he calls Negroponte petulant? Funny how backstabbing tends to make people unhappy.

I'm still surprised by the negativity and viciousness dumped on the OLPC, especially by all those poor starving tech billionaires. I've been saying for years, as have a large number of other people, that kids and people in emerging nations, who don't have extensive tech infrastructures, need something like this. You don't give children cars and power tools; you start them out with Fisher Price. Same goes for computers. Though I suppose it depends on your real goals- do you want to raise up new generations of tech-savvy users and potential talent for hire, or just helpless button-pushing sheep who'll buy any piece of junk, and not complain about being abused?

Yeah, quite the rhetorical question there. :P
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 06, 2008
11:38 AM EDT
But Carla, that is the real question is it not?

They really don't want tech-savvy users who are able to access information on their own and capable of thinking for themselves.

Those kinds of people are much harder to keep misinformed and controlled.

Besides, we all know that if the OLPC was using an Intel chip instead of an AMD chip this whole thing would be mute anyway. And they would still be pursuing all the other projects they are involved with anyway. The only thing Intel cares about is itself, which is how all big businesses act.
jsusanka

Jan 06, 2008
5:13 PM EDT
"And he calls Negroponte petulant? Funny how backstabbing tends to make people unhappy.

I'm still surprised by the negativity and viciousness dumped on the OLPC, especially by all those poor starving tech billionaires. I've been saying for years, as have a large number of other people, that kids and people in emerging nations, who don't have extensive tech infrastructures, need something like this. You don't give children cars and power tools; you start them out with Fisher Price. Same goes for computers. Though I suppose it depends on your real goals- do you want to raise up new generations of tech-savvy users and potential talent for hire, or just helpless button-pushing sheep who'll buy any piece of junk, and not complain about being abused?

Yeah, quite the rhetorical question there."

well said TC - couldn't agree more with you. I really don't have anything to add - except I fear for America because I feel we are raising nothing but good windows button pushers that won't be able to think out of the corporate line if their life depended on it.
hkwint

Jan 07, 2008
1:38 AM EDT
Quoting:Though I suppose it depends on your real goals

They are ought to be beggars; ought to beg for Intel and Windows; I suppose.
jezuch

Jan 07, 2008
4:58 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm still surprised by the negativity and viciousness dumped on the OLPC, especially by all those poor starving tech billionaires.

That's easy. It makes them look stupid. They're billionaires, most probably some of the are 'philantropists', too. Yet they didn't come up with a way to *really* help other people with their billions, like OLPC does *without* those billions. It makes their actions (if any) look like marketing only (which I believe they are). I think that, if anything, this legitimizes OLPC as a viable venture :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!