what is pragmatic?

Story: A marriage of convenience broken: OLPC and IntelTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
10:47 AM EDT
Quoting: it was idealism vs. pragmatism...

I think people get this wrong all the time, like calling RMS an idealist and Linus a pragmatist. To me, freedom is most pragmatic philosophy of all, and anything that undercuts it is not pragmatic, but expedient. Same goes for OLPC vs. The Poor Starving Tech Billionaires. What could be more pragmatic than developing and distributing a rugged, ingenious learning tool into the hands of people who are currently left out of the tech revolution? It has the potential to greatly expand the customer bases of TPSTBs, as well as develop a whole new pool of potential engineers and developers. Intel's ridiculous antics are not pragmatic at all; they are ridiculous and shameful, and do not benefit Intel at all. But the success of OLPC could benefit Intel and the other PSTBs greatly, if only they were not too stupid and greedy to see it.
ColonelPanik

Jan 08, 2008
12:52 PM EDT
TC, stop being so kind, just tell us what you really feel.

Just say no no no no. No Intel No m$

Steven_Rosenber

Jan 08, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
Why did OLPC go with AMD over Intel to begin with? Did AMD have a better low-power product?
dinotrac

Jan 08, 2008
1:53 PM EDT
>Why did OLPC go with AMD over Intel to begin with? Did AMD have a better low-power product?

No idea, but, when shopping around to construct my myth frontend, I discovered that the combo low power/bang for buck segment is all but owned by AMD -- unless you want to go all the way to Via, which is REALLY low power.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
Via... oh yeah...... that's how Cyrix makes a comeback..........
hkwint

Jan 08, 2008
2:03 PM EDT
Probably, they were more interested in the opportunity since they're smaller, and IIRC AMD did a cheaper offering; i.e. their products were cheaper, as needed for a 'cheap laptop'.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 08, 2008
3:42 PM EDT
@Steven: IIRC from the groklaw interview, AMD's chip could run with less power and switch between power modes much faster than the comparable Intel chip.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!