SRC

Story: MintKDE4 0 Ultumix0 0 1 2 Ultimate EditionTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
newmikey

Jan 09, 2008
1:19 AM EDT
The Source Luke, remember the Source!

We have had that discussion here before, but you seem to be going round in circles. Clem has told you he does not want to be associated with you or have you use his Linux Mint branding. People here at LXer have carefully and patiently explained copyright/left laws and FOSS requirements. You were forced once before to copy over, literally copy, all of the source packages of PCLOS. Therefore how are you going to comply with the requirements of providing source-code this time?

Sending Windows users directly into Cups stand for "easy to use"? Those same Windows users will know how to install 3D drivers? Copying and extracting a .tar.gz file?

"The secret to re mastering this distribution was tricky." Yeah, especially since someone at Mint told you that you used their remaster tool in totally the wrong way.

Does anyone actually believe that the above fairytale will even be half understood by computer users, let alone Windows users? What a bomb!
usacomputertec

Jan 18, 2008
7:47 PM EDT
Clem's message tome:

"Hi,

There's no problem at all with modifying Linux Mint and I'm actually happy to see it happening. As you experiment with it you might produce something new and innovate on top of what we're already doing so in a way it's testing grounds for us and another opportunity to research. You're the second distribution based on Linux Mint (the first one being pyrolinux).

The only issue I can see is the fact that your ISO is named after Linux Mint 4.0 and it might confuse people into making them think you're an "Edition". Editions have a very precise meaning in Linux Mint as they are officially tested and reviewed by the team and don't benefit from much freedom.

I know you did that in respect to Linux Mint and to show your appreciation but what you're doing is a derivative work, a remaster, a separate distribution. In a way you're doing this on your own the way you want it and although this is fine I would insist on you creating your own image.

We're ourselves based on Ubuntu and although we're grateful to Ubuntu for the work done we're very careful into removing any Ubuntu branding and calling ourselves with a very distrinctive name. This is better for us but also for Ubuntu so respective users don't get confused.

Keep up the good work. I'm hoping to test your ISO soon enough and I wish you luck with Ultumix.

Best Regards, Clem."
azerthoth

Jan 19, 2008
2:53 AM EDT
What does that letter have to do with the question of source code availability?

On a comprehensive read that letter is a very polite "You can do with our distro what you like but get our name off of yours." and I see no correlation to any kind of answer to the question newmikey posed to you.

This isn't to be mean or rude, I will and have defend your right to do your own distro. However it is very clear and has been stated before, without source code you have no legal rights to distribution, there are no grey areas at all about that.
azerthoth

Jan 19, 2008
3:25 AM EDT
OK I went on the search again, I have found the "temporary link to source code" which sends us off to a section of Mints source code.

On to the reason for a second post. I went over to your site again where I found that link and noticed your little advertisement section. While I did not watch the whole thing I can say for certain that you are once again repackaging things you have no rights to. Those little quotes that you are putting on everything under the sun ... they arent yours, other people hold copyright to those. Unless you can find somewhere where each individual quote has been released to public domain or some free use license then the Berne Convention kicks in.

What I am referring to is in a nutshell, a copyright notice is not needed for something to be copyrighted. The copyright is automatic at publishing. That is a really loose nutshell synopsis. If you wish to you can find the Berne Convention articles at http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html .
tuxchick

Jan 19, 2008
9:24 AM EDT
So "Ultumix" means "Ultimate copyright infringement." OK, it all makes sense now.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 20, 2008
1:55 AM EDT
Quoting:So "Ultumix" means "Ultimate copyright infringement."

In short: Nothing new.
thenixedreport

Jan 20, 2008
12:13 PM EDT
Tried it on VirtualBox on Mepis 7, and the Live environment worked, but..... the installer broke.... Probably because it doesn't like VirtualBox's virtual hard drive mechanism. I say it's way, way... too bloated at this point.

Justin,

You may want to get yourself a web-master to redo your site so you can spend more time on this project of yours.
tuxchick

Jan 20, 2008
4:06 PM EDT
thenixedreport accidentally on purpose posted to me privately instead of in this thread:

Quoting: -------- thenixedreport Jan 19, 2008 10:30 PM "So "Ultumix" means "Ultimate copyright infringement." OK, it all makes sense now." Why don't you try doing a variant of your favorite distribution instead of making snide remarks such as that?

-----------

tuxchick Jan 20, 2008 1:02 AM It's chicken to do private snarks. Post your comments in the appropriate thread, or shush. ----------------

thenixedreport Jan 20, 2008 4:57 PM "It's chicken to do private snarks." No, it's called being polite, especially when I have an issue with just one person in particular.

--------------

It must have taken a left turn back at the junction, it is a bit confusing back there.
azerthoth

Jan 20, 2008
4:20 PM EDT
I would support TC in this, however being in the good graces of everyone as I am currently, it would probably hinder rather than help. Hence I don't support TC in this in hopes that it will further her cause ...

That make sense to anyone?
jdixon

Jan 20, 2008
4:43 PM EDT
> That make sense to anyone?

Nope.

Sigh, didn't we just go through this whole process with Justin a few weeks ago?
usacomputertec

Jan 21, 2008
4:35 PM EDT
First of all Mint does not even provide any more source code than they wrote. Secondly it is now available in a torrent download format. Get it if you want it.
usacomputertec

Jan 21, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
azerthoth Just wanted you to know that these sayings have been released and shared all over the web. Kind of Like the Gospel of TUX. Have you ever read that? It's very funny.
jdixon

Jan 21, 2008
6:04 PM EDT
> First of all Mint does not even provide any more source code than they wrote.

Are you saying that these:

## +++ Source Repositories +++ ## deb-src http://www.linuxmint.com/repository daryna main upstream import ## deb-src http://www.linuxmint.com/repository daryna community ## deb-src http://www.linuxmint.com/repository daryna backport ## deb-src http://www.linuxmint.com/repository romeo daryna

Only contain the code changes for Mint and not the full code base?

If so they're making the same mistake Warren made with Mepis.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!