You're missing something

Story: The Distro Journey Has Begun: OpenSuSE 10.3Total Replies: 12
Author Content
bigg

Feb 09, 2008
7:22 AM EDT
As noted in the other post, the link needs to be fixed. I went to the site directly:

http://nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/

What you're missing is a description of what you're after in a distribution. What tasks do you plan to do once it's set up? Are you targeting current Windows users? Do you want to avoid having to do any configuration yourself? These are fine, but all too often I see reviews that just assume the goal is to find a distro that sets up your specific hardware properly, offers updated versions of a few pieces of software, and eliminates the use of the command line. Even if you are aiming for current Windows users, you still need a clear statement of the criteria.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 09, 2008
5:34 PM EDT
fixed the link
thenixedreport

Feb 09, 2008
8:56 PM EDT
Point taken bigg. Scott, sorry if I goofed. Heh.

Anyhoo, I am looking at multiple distributions. The one thing that I notice about every one of them is that they all have something that makes them unique, no matter how big or small.

"Even if you are aiming for current Windows users, you still need a clear statement of the criteria."

That pretty much sums it up in addition to one thing I'd like to see: a distribution that not only helps those migrating away from Microsoft, but also allows people to take away the training wheels so to speak so they can harness the power of a Unix-like operating system.
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2008
1:41 AM EDT
>in that not only helps those migrating away from Microsoft, but also allows people to take away the training wheels

That, btw, is the role that SuSE/OpenSuSE have beeen fulfilling for me for years.

Linux drives my home network, and, since I gave up on Debian in 2000, my personal workstation has always been SuSE.

The other boxes -- used by my wife and daughter's -- were also SuSE until last year. They are presently Kubuntu and Ubuntu, but that will change when I get the time.
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2008
4:00 AM EDT
Quoting:one thing I'd like to see: a distribution that not only helps those migrating away from Microsoft, but also allows people to take away the training wheels so to speak so they can harness the power of a Unix-like operating system.

Well there's Mandriva, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Fedora (probably, as I haven't tried it) Sabayon, in fact I'd have to say almost any of the new desktop distros.
ColonelPanik

Feb 10, 2008
6:50 AM EDT
Debian
jdixon

Feb 10, 2008
8:04 AM EDT
> ...in fact I'd have to say almost any of the new desktop distros.

People really seem to like the latest version of Mepis. I wish jimf was still here to give us his opinion of it. :(

And, of course, I'd like to recommend the various Slackware derivatives. :) The ones I know of are: Zenwalk, Vector Linux, Wolvix, GoblinX, NimbleX, and SLAX (a live CD). There may be others. I understand that Puppy Linux is a Slackware derivative, but given it's focus on older hardware, it may not interest you. I believe that Frugalware was also a Slackware derivative originally, but has since diverged enough to be considered it's own distribution.

And there's always the original. It makes a better desktop than most people would expect (you can check out Steven's Slackware comments at http://www.insidesocal.com/click/ , he's a comparatively unbiased source).
bigg

Feb 10, 2008
9:35 AM EDT
> I believe that Frugalware was also a Slackware derivative originally, but has since diverged enough to be considered it's own distribution.

I would like to see a review of Frugalware. It's a great distribution that you never hear about.

I considered it seriously when looking for a new distro, but kept getting segmentation faults in Virtualbox. I assumed that the problem was in Virtualbox, but in spite of much persistence, never managed to get it fully installed to the hard drive without crashing. The closest I've seen in the Linux world to Windows 98. I'd appreciate hearing someone else's experiences.
thenixedreport

Feb 10, 2008
12:23 PM EDT
Thanks bigg. I'll take that into consideration. :)

I'm aiming at DreamLinux next. I'll take a look at Frugalware after that. :)
ColonelPanik

Feb 10, 2008
12:32 PM EDT
nixed, check this out:

http://dreamlinuxforums.org/
number6x

Feb 10, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
SuSE started out as a Slackware derivative as well. It was largely based on SLS like Slackware was and switched to being Slackware based.

Suse was founded a year before Red Hat, but they spent their first year as a company that helped install Linux for others. Their distro came out about the same time as Red Hat.

Very good distro.

I started with Slackware, then used SuSE for many years. I liked Libranet for the desktop for a long time. Now I use debian, Wolvix and Zenwalk.

Always keep a spare partition around for trying new distros.
bigg

Feb 10, 2008
6:42 PM EDT
> I'm aiming at DreamLinux next. I'll take a look at Frugalware after that. :)

I'll be looking forward to it. DreamLinux is also an excellent choice.

Although I currently use Arch for most of what I do, I don't know that I will settle on Arch. It's an OS, and therefore imperfect, meaning there is always a chance that something better will come along. I always appreciate informative reviews of distros not at the top of Distrowatch's hit ranking.
thenixedreport

Feb 10, 2008
8:39 PM EDT
"I always appreciate informative reviews of distros not at the top of Distrowatch's hit ranking."

Yeah, well, to tell you the truth. Their "top 100" doesn't tell the whole story. It's only a page hit deal, where the rank is based on the number of hits, or something to that effect.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!