SCAM warning!

Story: GNU Consumer Reports (new site)Total Replies: 10
Author Content
newmikey

Feb 29, 2008
12:11 AM EDT
Our friend Justin has done it again. Great consumer page with an X number of domain name registrations linked to it. On the site, some great ads and wonderful reviews by .... J. himself.

Quite obviously he reviews Paypal which he has spent the last 6 months crusading against in his personal vendetta. Then a review of a Taiwanese PSU which he suspects is not and I quote "unleaded" because of its weight although Justin thoughtfully notes that the Linux compatibility of this PSU is fine.

I've noted before that Justin is very partial to "made in USA" computers and other stuff and seems to have missed the part where IBM's computer division got sold off to the Chinese Lenovo, CPU research is done in the Middle East and HP, Dell and friends are assembling rather than making PC's from parts manufactured in Vietnam, China and the Philippines, to name but a few companies and countries. The term "Global Economy" was certainly not around when Justin built this site and that's just great.

On we go to Sun's (!!) OpenOffice which is rated fine because "money is not leaving the US" until we get to an honest to God Microsoft review! Yes, not a product, but the whole company professionally reviewed in one page. I sincerely bow to such intellect and I fully agree with Justin's conclusion "Linux is not venerable to viruses".

There is also a great review of a bible program that helps Justin when he is "studying with God on Sundays". To think that those two are pals is mind-blowing! Makes you appreciate the site even more.

The newest review, an in-depth one at that is that of a company called Vistaprint which is said to be "riping people off". Bad show indeed and lucky we are that Justin reviewed them quickly. I just don't understand it where he says "Any personal experiences. Not yet but I hope I never will." but that is purely due to my inexperience with review sites.

Now the ads are something else again. Like any great honest consumer site, Justin has carefully crafted this site to provide partner ads that are extremely consumer friendly like "Quit your job. $5k/weekly", "Slots. Poker Blackjack Roulette, Craps and more", "Make $300 in 9 minutes! $100 an hour" and more of these priceless gems.

I can recommend this site to everyone, even if it were only for a good laugh.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 29, 2008
1:01 AM EDT
I am sorry, I did not get ads like that when I visited to check it out, but if I reload the page a few times..nice. Not!

Should I remove it?
tracyanne

Feb 29, 2008
1:23 AM EDT
Mmm apparently using Paypal is like playing "Russian Runlet", and GNOME SWORD allows you to download all of the free Bible translations , but not NIV, this seems to be a good thing, I guess the NIV is bad. Being able to and "search threw" them seems like a really great idea.

Where do these people learn to spell?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 29, 2008
3:44 AM EDT
> Where do these people learn to spell?

Public school.

You asked...
happyfeet

Feb 29, 2008
6:06 AM EDT
Plus he locks it so you can't use the back button - I hate that!
gus3

Feb 29, 2008
8:08 AM EDT
@tracyanne: Dunno about Paypal, but the NIV is copyrighted and currently in print, so yeah, its Sword module is pay-only.

@happyfeet: In Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox, you can use the little down-arrow beside the back arrow to go back *two* pages, skipping the hidden redirect page that got you to Justin's page.
happyfeet

Feb 29, 2008
9:06 AM EDT
@gus3: Aha, thanks!
tracyanne

Feb 29, 2008
11:44 AM EDT
Quoting:Plus he locks it so you can't use the back button - I hate that!

I didn't noticce. But I use NoScript.
dinotrac

Feb 29, 2008
6:23 PM EDT
>I guess the NIV is bad.

No, the NIV is not public domain.
usacomputertec

Mar 29, 2008
6:15 PM EDT
Oh no! newmikey strikes again! Should I run and cringe in fear as he spreads slander all over the net again? No not any more. I'm just going to ignore all of this and let you decide what is truth.
azerthoth

Mar 29, 2008
6:47 PM EDT
Wow, talk about delayed reaction. Holy Bat Lagman.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!