Interesting.

Story: Want a peek at a non-Windows operating system from Microsoft?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
dinotrac

Mar 06, 2008
6:23 AM EDT
Microsoft has hired a lot of very smart people over the years. Have they got a few of them doing something that might turn out interesting?
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2008
7:35 AM EDT
Certainly interesting. Microkernel research and experimental tools, running either in, as, or itself running a, virtual machine.

...under .NET.

Of course, that's just taking advantage of all the labor already put into .NET based virtual machines, and who can blame them?

Too bad those inventive, smart software engineers aren't working on something that is going to used. But then, no one is going to pay them Microsoft-level money to write Linux kernel drivers.
herzeleid

Mar 06, 2008
7:56 AM EDT
> But then, no one is going to pay them Microsoft-level money to write Linux kernel drivers.

Are you acknowledging that "microsoft-level" salaries are rather on the modest side? I tend to agree, and I've noted that the ads for linux kernel developers I've seen e.g. on dice.com advertise salaries far in excess of what the typical microsoft drone pulls down.

But, at ms, they get free coffee from what I understand, and lots of ms stock - but then again, that is, frankly, not such a great benefit these days.

Steven_Rosenber

Mar 06, 2008
9:08 AM EDT
They've been working on this thing since 2003, so it's only news because they have a new version that anybody can download. Looking at the relevant Web sites, I can't even figure out just what they even have at this point.

I guess this could represent a future Windows OS that doesn't have all the problems of the current platform. At any rate, they're not threatening to sue anybody yet, so it's a bit different than the usual as far as MS is concerned.
jezuch

Mar 06, 2008
3:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Are you acknowledging that "microsoft-level" salaries are rather on the modest side?

I guess for those smart people the salary is more of the anchor-style. "Pay them enough to keep them from going elsewhere (where they could hurt us... *really* hurt us)". Actually I *hope* it's that... Otherwise those smart people don't look so smart :)
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 06, 2008
4:01 PM EDT
They can't lure 'em with stock options ... and that goes for MS and Google.
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2008
5:31 PM EDT
What I hear from my chums who work there, MS salaries are a bit on the low side, though benefits are generous. They call their stock options "golden handcuffs" because they are granted a certain amount every year, and a certain percentage vest every year, so no matter how long you stay there you're always going to have some non-vested stock.
tuxtom

Mar 07, 2008
2:41 PM EDT
Oh how tight those handcuffs are even in a small, private startup. It's even worse. You can't just sell your vested shares like you can with a public company. "I own 5% of BlahBlah, Inc.", can and usually does mean that you own several rolls of virtual toilet paper.
hkwint

Mar 22, 2008
9:27 PM EDT
Back to Singularity: Seems to me there's not much in it that isn't tested (at the moment or in history) elsewhere yet; but I could be wrong.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!