Amazon and other distros

Story: Amazon's Linux answer to iTunes is a winnerTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
bigg

Mar 08, 2008
3:51 AM EDT
It's important to add that the Amazon MP3 Downloader can be installed on more than just these four distros. I'm only familiar with Arch (as that's what I use) but there is a package for download in the AUR that will install it for you. It's a matter of properly handling the symbolic links for the boost libraries as described here:

http://www.brianparsons.net/?p=131

It should in principle be possible to install on any distro. The Debian package should install on Mepis.

I'd hate to have users of other distributions believe they have to use one of these four distributions to fully access this impressive service.
tracyanne

Mar 08, 2008
4:27 AM EDT
The better solution would be for Amazon to supply the source code under the GPL and the Distro packagers could do the job for them.
questioner

Mar 08, 2008
6:07 AM EDT
Why don't they just let you download the MP3s with your browser? I don't see the point of a "MP3 Downloader" when the MP3s are DRM-free.
bigg

Mar 08, 2008
6:25 AM EDT
> The better solution would be for Amazon to supply the source code under the GPL and the Distro packagers could do the job for them.

Definitely. Someone else distributing a program that allows you to make a purchase from their store is better than free advertising.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!