Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME.

Story: Microsoft promises ODF, OOXML interoperabilityTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 09, 2008
11:38 AM EDT
I will believe it when I see it. Until then, Microsoft has to live with the reputation they have earned by lying about "interoperability" over, and over, and over again.

Microsoft could be 100% interoperable in perpetuity, just by _using_ ODF.

It seems, however, this is just too hard for them to do.
dinotrac

Mar 09, 2008
12:49 PM EDT
Will appreciate it when it arrives, til then, will believe it when I see it.
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2008
2:46 PM EDT
I promise world peace, a perfectly balanced harmony between humans and nature, universal happiness, and non-fattening chocolate and beer.

They're just as valid as MS' promises.
dinotrac

Mar 09, 2008
3:55 PM EDT
Chocolate and beer?

Is that in a sundae?
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2008
4:34 PM EDT
That's the basis of a healthy, nourishing breakfast.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 09, 2008
4:56 PM EDT
TC, I see you're running for political office.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 09, 2008
5:06 PM EDT
I had a cute thing happen to me tonight.

My neighbors are moving, and they have 3 "obsolete" PCs they are going to be selling at a garage sale. One of them is an old machine of mine which I gave them with Linux on it for their kids. (they never even powered it on, I think)

Anyway, I volunteered to wipe off all their old data (by doing a fresh Linux install) for "security" reasons. They liked the idea, so I brought the first one home, put PCLinuxOS in the CD and booted.

It got about 1/8th of the "progress bar" and just stopped.

Ok, Knoppix! Nope, same thing.

Debian net install? Debian XFCE install? Neither. Knoppix? No, kernel panic as soon as it went to mount the compressed file system.

Linux just won't boot.

Just about out of ideas...minix? Hmm. I've got this Minix 3.1.1 CD that I made when Minix finally went GPL, lets try it.

Success! Oh, and look, there's a "setup" utility to install it, and Golly! I can tell it to reformat the entire disk.

So I don't know what tomorrow may bring, but today brought a new thing: My first Minix install!

Thank you for listening.
gus3

Mar 09, 2008
8:48 PM EDT
The right tool for the job.

(I wonder if AST knows his OS is a security tool, besides also being an educational OS?)
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 10, 2008
3:01 AM EDT
Chocolate and beer flavored sundaes?!?!?!

Where!?!?!?
tracyanne

Mar 10, 2008
5:01 AM EDT
Since this is way off topic. I just bought a nice little Lenovo Laptop, It's nothing flash, but it's got a 1.73 Gig single core CPU, 1 Gig of RAM, 75 Gig Harddrive, Intel Wireless, the usual assortment of USB connectors, Dial up and LAN connectors. It came pre installed with Windows Vista Home Basic, we bought it for a friend of ours, he wants a Laptop and I told him I'd keep my eyes open for a bargain, It turns out that Big W has opened a store in the Bay, and are selling everything reduced for their opening sale, these laptops are $200 off, so we got it for $498 Aussies.

I got the sales manager to sign a statement that I refused the Microsoft EULA. I then took the Microsoft Labels off and stuck them on the statement, and reformatted the hard drive. I'm now setting the machine up with Mandriva 2008.0. I'll now try to get my refund from Lenovo. Even if I don't the machine was still a good price.
dinotrac

Mar 10, 2008
7:06 AM EDT
tracyanne -

Sounds like you're got the same thing (or very close) to what I got. We are VERY happy with ours, I have to tell you. We had to put XP on it for work reasons, but it runs Linux live CDs with not problems.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!