helios again

Story: Lessons Learned? One Can Only HopeTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Mar 10, 2008
7:57 AM EDT
Next week I am going to stop in Austin, TX on my way back to Louisiana! I am going to visit helios. Hell yes I am excited.

So y'all just read the article, hit the links helios provided. Learn.
dinotrac

Mar 10, 2008
8:24 AM EDT
Bad news, potential good news.

My mother-in-law's neighbor's condo burned down He condo suffered fire damage.

She works for FEMA and is out in the field.

As a consequence, the possibility exists that I may fly down to Dallas in order to help her out.

If that happens...I may get the chance to drive on down to Austin. If I get that chance, I would love to hunt the man down like a dog and shake his hand.
dumper4311

Mar 10, 2008
9:05 AM EDT
@Dino: If you do happen to hunt him down, please shake his hand once for me as well.

Whether we agree on all the specifics or not, support for his projects is starting to become a regular thing for me, and I like to look at it this way:

Any support I provide to Komputers4Kids, FixedByLinux, my favorite distro, or favorite OSS apps benefits PEOPLE (myself and others), not the coffers of an ethically bankrupt corporation.

Mind you, I have no problem with the proprietary software model, but I do have a problem with the ABUSE of such a model. OSS and the work of community heroes like helios helps rein in some of that abuse potential.

Ultimately, it will be thousands of individuals like helios that bring success to the F/OSS movement. Not mindless ideologues, not corporate interests, but people like him who provide honest, intelligent, and measurable action on behalf of computer users everywhere.
dinotrac

Mar 10, 2008
9:48 AM EDT
dumper -

Hear, hear!!!

Helios is out there DOING THINGS!!

What a concept!

Pencil-d*cked bluenoses (p*ngu*n P*t*, are you watching?) may take offense at some of his ventures, but doing stuff beats talking about doing stuff hands down.
softwarejanitor

Mar 10, 2008
10:56 AM EDT
I live in the Austin area and I've never had a chance to meet Helios...
ColonelPanik

Mar 10, 2008
11:00 AM EDT
dinotrac: >>I would love to hunt the man down like a dog and shake his hand. Don't you mean paw?
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 10, 2008
11:36 AM EDT
Quoting:Helios is out there DOING THINGS!!

Exactly Dino, like him or not, like what he does or not, you cannot, cannot, dislike his motives or enthusiasm for what it is he is doing.

like, things, and stuff

:-)
tracyanne

Mar 10, 2008
1:30 PM EDT
@softwarejanitor Stay right where you are, and I'm sure Helios will find you.
thenixedreport

Mar 10, 2008
9:15 PM EDT
Yeah, he's a force to be reckoned with. I just wish he had more pictures of himself. I'm weird. I'd like to match the face to the voice if you know what I mean. Same thing happened with Bill Gates. See, when I read a quote, I can put his face to it, but I never knew for the longest time what his voice sounded like. I match the voice to the printed words, and it annoys me if I don't know what the voice sounds like.

I know what the voice of helios sounds like. I've only seen a small picture of his face, and he was wearing a ball cap too. lol
softwarejanitor

Mar 11, 2008
8:59 AM EDT
I'm not too hard to find... I'm on most of the local Austin forums and stuff...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!