Almost been there, almost done that.

Story: Care and Feeding of Baby Linux UsersTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
kozmcrae

Mar 15, 2008
6:48 PM EDT
So I almost know what if feels like to coach somebody carefully and then find out later they trashed their new Linux system. Not everybody should be allowed behind the wheel of a car. Not everybody should be allowed at a computer keyboard. The numbers are small, I hope. There is no driver's test for computer operation. If there was, more than half the computer "repair" shops would go out of business over night. The wandering souls of Microsoft's hordes protest loudly that computers have to be stupid simple. Well, some famous guy once said "If you make computers stupid simple to use then all you'll have is stupid users". Judging by the cottage industry of "repair" shops and the perpetual pandemic of malware, I'd say Microsoft has done a pretty good job of making computers stupid simple. Paula is just a victim of Microsoft's "simple" training system. I'll swear on my future grave that when the smoke clears, the average, that's mainstream, user will be using some GNU/Linux variant and will know much more about their system then they do today. And they'll be happier about it too.
TxtEdMacs

Mar 16, 2008
2:06 PM EDT
Don't count on it ... In the New York Times (the news paper of record*, it claims) has quoted a computer consultant that periodically trashes good hardware because the software side its so mucked up, it is easier to buy a new one than try to remove the unwanted crap that adheres to the system. [Presented as an expert, not a target for derision. Really. Seriously. Who would have thought that august institution of the "Paper of Record" would have sunk so low? Certainly not I, unless I read too many of the supposed Science section articles, then I know they stink.]

* Sometimes it just thinks it better to with hold information from the public that might in misdirected anger dump the idiots running the government and other institutions that some within its ranks (NYT, that is) hold in high regard.
ColonelPanik

Mar 17, 2008
10:07 AM EDT
"All the news that's fit to print."
azerthoth

Mar 17, 2008
10:21 AM EDT
"All the print that will fit as news"

That should be the NYT motto. Their research is horrid and contradictory logic is the norm not the exception.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!