FUD of the week

Story: Penguin Suicide BombersTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2008
2:02 AM EDT
Tracyanne: If you submit a FUD-of-the-week, you might want to label it as such. And append the "humor" tag. This article can't be serious. It's just too wrong on too many levels to be. And from the author's website:

Quoting:Above all, please remember to have a sense of humor. This material is meant to entertain as much as inform and spark critical thought. Some of this stuff is fairly serious, like the "Proof of God" stuff, and some of this stuff is written very "tongue in cheek" with copious amounts of sarcasm involved. If you can't watch South Park because you get offended easily, then DON'T read this stuff. Or if you DO read it, don't be surprised if you get offended.
tracyanne

Mar 18, 2008
3:05 AM EDT
I thought is was incredibly funny. Sorry I tend to present humour deadpan, both on the web and IRL. I've got a really sick sense of humour, I just couldn't help myself.
tbuitenh

Mar 18, 2008
4:15 AM EDT
I didn't think it was funny, mostly because the first part (about not comparing FLOSS to communism, anarchism, charities, etc) was very true. Then the second part made the exact same mistake that was identified in the first part. Rather sad, really.
jezuch

Mar 18, 2008
4:44 AM EDT
I didn't get the humor part, too... I feel ashamed. I though this guy was sick and we should help him...
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2008
4:53 AM EDT
Quoting:I didn't think it was funny, mostly because the first part (about not comparing FLOSS to communism, anarchism, charities, etc) was very true.

The first part was quite bad as well:

Quoting:open source software is built by a process in which one or more individuals collaborate to create software and then release that software and its source code to the public domain. These individuals are not paid to create the software and they may never make a dime from it.

There are many corporations producing FOSS code, all with paid developers. Code is not released in the public domain but license under an open license. Many, many people make money off FOSS. I'd dare say that paid FOSS developers combined produce more code than the voluntary contributers combined do.
jayrfink

Mar 18, 2008
6:07 AM EDT
The Author failed to do their research; GNU and BSD-Unix were around long before Microsoft; so what was their evil motivation?
tbuitenh

Mar 18, 2008
6:15 AM EDT
point taken about the other part of the first part
azerthoth

Mar 18, 2008
6:35 AM EDT
Interestingly he brings up the OSI which makes no statement that proprietary software is an evil that must be expunged, that is the FSF and RMS. Honestly if he chooses to demonize a group of advocates he might have atleast selected the one that more closely matched his description. Then again many people here are familiar with my personal stance on RMS and the FSF, so take that with a grain of whatever.

I am not saying that there arent "penguin suicide bombers" such as he described, I can easily think of a handful that are regulars here on LXer who might qualify such a heady description. Just that for the most part the article was as devoid of fact as it was full of vitriol.
ColonelPanik

Mar 18, 2008
7:44 AM EDT
Faceless minions, your comments don't count.
theboomboomcars

Mar 18, 2008
7:57 AM EDT
A faceless minion of some unknown entity calling those who support linux faceless minions?

I find that funny.
jdixon

Mar 18, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
> I am not saying that there arent "penguin suicide bombers" such as he described, I can easily think of a handful that are regulars here on LXer who might qualify such a heady description.

Naw. Penguin grenade throwers, maybe. But not suicide bombers. We prefer to live to fight another day. :)
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2008
9:30 AM EDT
... and besides, we're more like penguin ninjas anyway...
tuxchick

Mar 18, 2008
9:36 AM EDT
tracyanne, you must remember that when your audience is Linux fans it's like the old joke about feminists:

"Did you hear the one about the feminist?" "That's not funny!"

Subtlety is wasted- you need a big blinking sign that says THIS IS SATIRE. NO REALLY! IT IS! IT IS TOO!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 18, 2008
9:41 AM EDT
> and besides, we're more like penguin ninjas anyway.

http://www.winjutsu.com/

http://california60.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/images-2.jpg

http://rayarray.blogspot.com/2007/08/request-32-ninja-pengui...
azerthoth

Mar 18, 2008
11:47 AM EDT
TC you and tracyanne can tell me it's humor or satire or freshly printed money, I don't see it. I see topical ignorance so glaring as to render any reading, with humorous eye or serious to be painful.

It's difficult even to negatively comment on the piece as it is written in such a way as to paint any detractor as a rabid penguinista. So on it's technical merits alone, it's content is deranged and it's author ignorant (m-w definition, not vernacular).

I not only wasted my time reading it, I continue to waste my time calling it a steaming pile of inaccurate preconceived excrement, of no value in humor or technical accuracy other than a talking point.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2008
12:29 PM EDT
Bob: Great finds! Also: http://xkcd.com/225/

Hehehe :-)
montezuma

Mar 18, 2008
12:36 PM EDT
Might be because of a difference in the senses of humor of those in the US and Australia (the others versus tracyanne). The latter tend to be much less respectful and incendiary than the former. Believe me I found out the hard way...
tracyanne

Mar 18, 2008
12:39 PM EDT
TC -
Quoting:Subtlety is wasted- you need a big blinking sign that says THIS IS SATIRE. NO REALLY! IT IS!

So I see TC.

azerthoth
Quoting:it's content is deranged

Absolutely, so deranged, in fact, that it's impossible that the author not be very aware of exactly what FOSS is.

this
Quoting:Some of this stuff is fairly serious, like the "Proof of God" stuff,
is a dead give away.

and
Quoting:If you can't watch South Park because you get offended easily, then DON'T read this stuff. Or if you DO read it, don't be surprised if you get offended.

You were warned.
ColonelPanik

Mar 18, 2008
1:33 PM EDT
Can I be a Linux Anarchist?
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 18, 2008
2:22 PM EDT
I want to be a Protaganistic Antagonist.

moopst

Mar 18, 2008
6:54 PM EDT
I thought the W3C xhtml 1.0 seal of approval was a dead giveaway that the piece was humor. If you go to the "about" link they have articles like "Why Vegetarians are Stupid" and "Why Vegetarians are Still Stupid".

I think it's a good example of proper use of logic with a few wrong assumptions sprinkled in as seasoning to yield a spicy result.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 20, 2008
7:49 AM EDT
> Can I be a Linux Anarchist?

First we need to figure out what an Anarchist is: Free Market, or Chaosist?

http://www.mises.org/etexts/longanarchism.pdf

http://www.mises.org/story/1855

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!