I've already upgraded to 2008.1 Spring KDE

Story: Mandriva One 2008.1 Spring GNOMETotal Replies: 19
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 10, 2008
1:17 AM EDT
I did it from the cooker repositories, over the net (urpmi --auto-update) on Tuesday morning. I'm now updating the repositories to point to the release ones.
DiBosco

Apr 10, 2008
1:35 AM EDT
I finally got the torrent completed when I got back from pub last night! ;-)

Installed it on a couple of PCs including this laptop. Looks great, and Intel HD sound works without tinkering this time. Just need them to sort out the repositories so I can get the nvidia drivers on. Amazing how much they speed up things.

Next stop - get it on my dad's machine; another Vista user so fed up he's having a go with Linux.
zenarcher

Apr 10, 2008
2:19 AM EDT
Likewise, I have noticed that 2008.1 Spring is a lot faster than 2008, even from the first Alpha. I've used all of the pre-release candidates and they have been as clean as one would expect from a final release. I've downloaded 2008.1 Spring Free and One-KDE. I'm still downloading and burning the 64 bit versions of each and will start installs on my main system and my test box today. That complete, I'll do the new install on my laptop and my wife's desktop system...then off to get several upgrades done of computers belonging to several family members. Mandriva just keeps getting better and better!
gus3

Apr 10, 2008
7:40 AM EDT
@DiBosco:

Hehe. My dad switched to Linux this past Sunday.

(Disclaimer: Not because he was fed up with Windows 95. His laptop died when Mom turned it off to clean it.)
helios

Apr 10, 2008
12:14 PM EDT
So for those of us who are running the initial 2008 install, what is the procedure to upgrade to this newest release? Is it just a matter of normal update via the mandriva and plf repos?
zenarcher

Apr 11, 2008
1:41 AM EDT
I'm not sure about the procedure for upgrading from Mandriva 2008 to 2008.1, since I always do a clean install. I believe it is a matter, if you have all updates current on 2008, of removing your repos and adding the new repos. I would suggest checking on the Mandriva forum, as there is plenty of discussion regarding just upgrading from 2008. Give the forum a try at: http://forum.mandriva.com/index.php?sid=5b6e96e5831adda0e559...

Good luck with the upgrade, as 2008.1 seems very nice and the faster boot time is very apparent! It's been a very clean version, all the way from Alpha 1 to the final release.
bigg

Apr 11, 2008
4:53 AM EDT
As I've noted here before, I've been looking for a new distro. I didn't get very far because Arch is so good.

I have downloaded and am working with 2008.1. At this early stage, it looks very promising, at least for my office machine where stability is important.
tracyanne

Apr 11, 2008
1:32 PM EDT
Hopefully I'll have a set of instructions for upgrading over the net shortly. I've discovered that the way easyurpmi sets up the 2008.1 repositories is different than before.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 12, 2008
6:26 AM EDT
I'm going to install the Mandriva PP on my baby's PC, currently is has PCLOS 2008 MiniMe, but the new Mandriva looks nice and I think it will be a bit more stable for her use (although PCLOS is pretty darn stable).

Is there really a reason to get the PP, or should I just use the Free/One and add different repos?
helios

Apr 12, 2008
10:41 AM EDT
I've discovered that the way easyurpmi sets up the 2008.1 repositories is different than before.

Ouch...so did I. Nevermind...It is beginning to look like a fresh install may be my only choice.

h
tracyanne

Apr 12, 2008
2:26 PM EDT
I'm half way through updating a machine to 2008.1 using the 2008.1 repositiories.

For obvious reasons Mandriva One doesn't support updates, except from One (any version) to Powerpack (same release version). But I've worked out how to setup the repositories so that I can use the 2008.1 repositories to update Mandriva One to the latest version. I'll publish my results as soon as I;ve finished.

It is a bit lenghty but doable.
tracyanne

Apr 12, 2008
2:38 PM EDT
I'm also downloading powerpack DVD from the Paris d1 site, but it's god awful slow, I'm at 48% after running all night.
tracyanne

Apr 12, 2008
5:16 PM EDT
56% and only 16 hours to go.
tracyanne

Apr 13, 2008
5:20 AM EDT
Not having much success upgrading across the net. Evem my machine that I upgraded fro cooker has problems. I'll be installing from Powerpack as soonas it's ready.
Alcibiades

Apr 13, 2008
8:21 PM EDT
I've two client machines on One. This is not terribly encouraging. The secretary there after looking at the pros and cons with me is saying, never mind the Mandriva admin centre, if we have to do a clean install to upgrade every time, lets just go to Debian, and I'll live with the admin just to get the ease of upgrading. Hard to argue with, really. I really do not much want to do another clean install now, and then another in six months or year from now....
gus3

Apr 13, 2008
10:22 PM EDT
Quoting:The secretary there
The secretary is using Linux? And offering opinions?

That's definitely encouraging!
tracyanne

Apr 13, 2008
10:55 PM EDT
The thing is you only need to do a clean install from One, not Powerpack.

One is the Free as in free beer, entry level to Powerpack.
tracyanne

Apr 13, 2008
11:24 PM EDT
and Power pack is only $US93.00 a year, to subscribe to, install on as many machines in your organisation or haome as you wish. And for that you get two releases of powerpack in that 12 month period.
Alcibiades

Apr 14, 2008
1:03 AM EDT
gus3

Yes, I said I wasn't very happy with performance on one of the machines, and the other we sometimes get odd behaviour with USB sticks. So I mentioned vector and debian, and said I didn't want to just spring it on her, she looked them both up, read the sites, and said she really liked the idea of debian.
jezuch

Apr 14, 2008
3:36 AM EDT
Quoting:and said she really liked the idea of debian.

And that's doubly encouraging! ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!