cmd.exe

Story: cmd.exe for Linux zealotsTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
jezuch

Apr 12, 2008
2:49 PM EDT
Quoting:My example : “You are have no skills in using the command line in Windows, so you are proving to yourself, that it is useless anyway”.

Wait... It isn't?? Well, one I managed to create a script that did something useful with it and I was quite surprised that standard commands sufficed. So, yes, maybe, sometimes... ;)
tracyanne

Apr 12, 2008
2:57 PM EDT
Yes the windows command line is quite functional, just painful to use, in my experience. But I still prefer to use a gui even in Linux.

Interestingly all the Windows Sysadmins I used to know use bash after installing cygwin.
softwarejanitor

Apr 12, 2008
3:52 PM EDT
The MS-DOS/Windows command line can be made to do useful things... but as a scripting language it is very limited and painful to use. If you must do command line or scripting under Windows, it is generally far preferable to install something that gives a much more rich selection of command line utilities like Cygwin as tracyanne mentions and use bash or better yet a scripting language like Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. That eases some of the pain of using Windows, but it is still in my opinion like putting frosting on a cow pie.
dinotrac

Apr 12, 2008
5:06 PM EDT
Mmmmmm.

Frosted cow pie....

softwarejanitor

Apr 12, 2008
10:14 PM EDT
Yeah... the author of that article bends over backwards to point out that the Windows command line can be made to work. And at the same time glosses over the fact that the command line on virtually every Linux distro, even "desktop" oriented ones is a whole lot more functional by default. Not to mention that virtually every Linux distro these days includes scripting languages like Perl and Python by default.

So compared to Windows... Linux is like a tasty pie instead of a cow pie. How's that for having your cake and eating it too.
moopst

Apr 12, 2008
10:39 PM EDT
The only time I ever used the Windows command line professionally it was a simple task. Just change all the filenames in a dir to filename.old. The freaken thing kept rescanning the dir so some files were untouched, some were filename.old, some were filename.old.old and some had 3 and 4 .olds before I hit control-c. So I had to do a dir on the currently hosed up directory, redirect it to a file, ftp it to Unix, edit it in vi to a gazillion discrete commands that windows could handle, ftp it back as a .bat file and run it.

Definitely had a cow pie smell. Farmers refer to that smell as "the smell of money".
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2008
1:58 AM EDT
moopst --

Tracyanne will know this, I'm sure -- but I seem to recall that mass renames like that are actually simpler under Windows than Unix. Granted, it's been a long time for me and my memory is likely to be hazy, but I though you could do that with a single invocation of the ren command and wildcards.
jezuch

Apr 13, 2008
2:59 AM EDT
Yes, I think Dino is right - I suppose someone in Microsoft in the old days noticed that this (changing an extension on many files) is a common usage so added a special case that wildcard-to-wildcard rename means something different than usual (if that's done how I remember it). Unix is more for consistency so it won't work. Unix is also for flexibility and won't pile special case on special case but instead invent rename utilities based on regexps (and *won't* standardise on one ;) )
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2008
6:31 AM EDT
jezuch -

Agree completely that Unix way is far more empowering...

But I do remember a few times wishing I had that wild-card rename!
techiem2

Apr 13, 2008
8:00 AM EDT
Quoting:But I do remember a few times wishing I had that wild-card rename!

mc has some nice wildcard handling with it's move/rename feature. I use it now and then when I want to mass rename files. Of course, that's not "pure cli", so you can't script it (as far as I know).
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2008
8:47 AM EDT
techiem --

Good to know. Thanks.
techiem2

Apr 13, 2008
1:13 PM EDT
No prob. It takes a bit of playing around to figure out exactly how to use the wildcards for source and destination, but it's great once you do.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 13, 2008
2:04 PM EDT
Hey softwarejanitor, I think the placement of your comment unfortunate, regardless of its merit.

First dino said, "Frosted cow pie...."

then you comment, "Linux is like a tasty pie [...]"

By that point I lost all appetite for any pastry, no matter the covering. Indeed, I will now fore go even cake.
herzeleid

Apr 13, 2008
3:03 PM EDT
> I seem to recall that mass renames like that are actually simpler under Windows than Unix.

The special case of mass renaming was one handy feature of dos, but there has been a unix "mmv" command floating around for over 20 years...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!