Confirmation?

Story: Seagate Kills Linux SupportTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
justme

Apr 18, 2008
10:55 AM EDT
Seeing as how this article has no details or link to, say, a press release, and is written in modern Gibberish, can anyone else confirm this news and say exactly what Seagate has done?
phsolide

Apr 18, 2008
11:20 AM EDT
I agree - what the heck is this article about? Since it doesn't even reference a press release, it's a bit hard to take seriously.

What's Seagate going to do? Produce non-IDE drives, and sell Windows users a driver? Didn't that sort of thing go out in 1982?

If it's true, then I would suspect some kind of kow-towing to the Entertainment Industry, like in the case a few years ago, where proposed new EIDE standards would allow DRM to be built-in to the disk. Andrew Orlowski of The Register reported on it extensively: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/12/western_digital_file...
techiem2

Apr 18, 2008
11:42 AM EDT
Here's what I found. http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005886

justme

Apr 18, 2008
11:48 AM EDT
Thanks, techiem2. Looks like an issue that, while not satisfactorily resolved, did get a nominal response from Seagate.
NoDough

Apr 21, 2008
7:50 AM EDT
Wow! You guys actually _read_ Matt Hartley articles?
techiem2

Apr 21, 2008
7:52 AM EDT
lol. Not usually, but the title had me interested. I should have just googled the subject instead of reading the article then googling the subject since the article didn't say anything anyway.
gus3

Apr 21, 2008
7:58 AM EDT
Only under duress.
theboomboomcars

Apr 21, 2008
11:20 AM EDT
I think that the Matt Hartley articles should be tagged in the Headline that they are such, so those who check our RSS feeds can be warned before going to the article. Like perhaps a MH- or something.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 21, 2008
1:46 PM EDT
@theboomboomcars,

That sounds like a great idea but it would be giving him more attention than he deserves, besides I reject well over half of his submissions as it is. That is why I line them up in a row, to shorten the pain for our readers.

We need someone like Matt around, for, for, umm, some reason I can't think of right now.. ;-)

tracyanne

Apr 21, 2008
1:52 PM EDT
Scott, a hint, whips.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 21, 2008
1:53 PM EDT
Quoting: We need someone like Matt around, for, for, umm, some reason I can't think of right now.. ;-)

To fertilize the garden, I suppose.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!