So what is this rant all about?

Story: Seagate Kills Linux SupportTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
l8gravely

Apr 18, 2008
11:28 AM EDT
So what is this rant all about? I've read the article and I have no clue what this guy's panties are in a twist about. Something about Seagate, NTFS and Linux, but who knows?

John
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 18, 2008
12:45 PM EDT
There are enough threads for this post already ... so I'll pick this one.

Does this have to do with SATA, IDE, USB-connected backup drives, or ???

I figure a bare drive can be installed in any PC and loaded with any OS that runs on the PC and supports the drive interface (SATA, PATA, SCSI). And if a backup drive with a USB interface includes backup software, I've never seen one that said "Linux compatible" on the box. Wouldn't you just use whatever software you have in your distribution to format the drive and run backups on it?

What am I missing?
techiem2

Apr 18, 2008
12:49 PM EDT
USB drives. 1. They are preformatted NTFS (easy enough to get around). 2. The power management is screwy. The drive shuts itself off after some amount of time and drops the USB connection. When it comes back on, it restarts the USB connection as USB1 instead of USB2. Apparently Windows can handle this but *nix can't.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005886
herzeleid

Apr 18, 2008
12:54 PM EDT
> The drive shuts itself off after some amount of time and drops the USB connection. When it comes back on, it restarts the USB connection as USB1 instead of USB2. Apparently Windows can handle this but *nix can't.

*nix can't handle it? LOL I doubt that. I'm sure that with the needed information the linux kernel crew could code up a nice, efficient handler for that.
techiem2

Apr 18, 2008
1:08 PM EDT
hehe. The solution in the comments on that article gave instructions for disabling the power management on the drive so you wouldn't have the issue. Of course, that's not the ideal, but it works. The ideal of course would be Seagate fixing the issue and replacing the defective drives with fully working ones (yes, I count a drive switching modes from USB2 to USB1 on waking up from power management to be a defect).
tuxchick

Apr 18, 2008
1:30 PM EDT
This is old news.

A drive switching modes from USB2 to USB1 on waking up from power management is definitely a defect. Why would it switch modes at all? It makes no sense. "yay, my throughput rate dropped so low I can't measure it! Yippeee!"
number6x

Apr 18, 2008
1:45 PM EDT
Is it changing it's mode or trying to change its USB id? Does the host have to send another Get_Descriptor request and assign a new USB id to the device?

There's not enough info in TFA. I'll have to read the article at engadget.

I wonder if it could be automounted by drive uuid in fstab and avoid this issue.

I will not buy one of these Seagate drives to try and find out. I fell sorry for anyone who got stuck with one.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!