Ugh

Story: OLPC; one excuse per childTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
techiem2

Apr 24, 2008
9:14 AM EDT
Ok, I understood the whole "If MS wants to try to get XP working on the OLPC, that's their right" thing. I even understand having the option to have the OLPC Dual boot Sugar and XP, after all, that's choice and exposure to both worlds. But, making it so that XP is required and Sugar just runs on top of it? Now you're right back to being an MS Lockin tool.

tuxchick

Apr 24, 2008
9:45 AM EDT
'one excuse per child' says it all. Notice how the anti-FOSS buzzwords are suddenly coming out of Mr. Negroponte's mouth, like "purism" and a bunch of think-of-the-children guff. LWN has the better, more informative article as usual: http://lwn.net/Articles/279288/
thenixedreport

Apr 24, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
I'm busy at the moment, so I'll take your word for now TC, as I find Sam to be a bit over the top. At least I can admit when I'm wrong in my opinion and/or approach from time to time.
tuxchick

Apr 24, 2008
2:04 PM EDT
Yeah, Sam V. is more heat than light. Here's another article with more meat on it: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewA...

Quoting: OLPC founder Nicholas Negroponte also told The Associated Press on Tuesday that an insistence upon using only free, open-source software had hampered the XO's usability and scared away potential adopters....

the laptops don't support the latest versions of Flash animation....

"There are several examples like that, that we have to address without worrying about the fundamentalism in some of the open-source community," he said. "One can be an open-source advocate without being an open-source fundamentalist."

Moving to Windows could also remove the competitive barriers put up by both Microsoft and Intel Corp....

to accommodate Flash and Windows XP, the OLPC may have to equip the XO with a larger solid-state drive, raising the laptop's price again....

Sigh.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 24, 2008
4:01 PM EDT
Not hitting the $100 mark is such a huge failure ...
thenixedreport

Apr 24, 2008
7:41 PM EDT
Well, I attempted to use the contact form on the Australian site (laptop.org.au) and (*gasp*), I was given an immediate answer!

I asked the following:

Quoting:Greetings. I would like to know if there are any specific e-mail addresses or other methods of contact for those who are members of the press. Thank you for your time.

To which he replied:

Quoting:Not as yet -- we're still in the process of booting up the organisation, and the contact form on the website is fine for any queries.

Thanks for your comments on iTWire. :-)

I thought journalists were supposed to have a degree of flexibility. Guess Sam is proving me wrong (shrugs).
gus3

Apr 24, 2008
9:14 PM EDT
Quoting:we're still in the process of booting up the organisation
Sounds like a very slow process. Are they trying to run a 2.6 kernel on an 80386?

/rimshot

Thanks, I'll be here until Friday.
azerthoth

Apr 25, 2008
6:15 AM EDT
Not to put too fine a point on things, I finally got my XO a month ago. I played with it a little bit, took a few minutes learning the UI and how to get it attached to my wireless network. 3 days later I closed the lid with the final conclusion that overall, as shipped, it's a POS.

I wanted to like it, I tried. It started with the first annoyance of the keyboard and its size forcing me to move to another computer and doing any serious poking about via ssh. Then for being an educational piece it has an amazing lack of educational software. I'll probably dig it out again later and see if something can be done to actually make the thing usable. I never though I would say it, XP would be a significant improvement.

As it is, it will probably end up being relagated to being a print server and stuffed inta the corner until it dies.
jdixon

Apr 25, 2008
8:09 AM EDT
azerthoth, it sounds like you'd like the Eee better. Which reminds me, my wife got hers about 3 weeks ago. I need to ask her to do a writeup for LXer.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 25, 2008
9:22 AM EDT
Looking forward to the Eee report. A friend of mine has one but didn't get on well with the small keyboard.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 25, 2008
12:43 PM EDT
I second Steve's "Looking forward to the Eee report"

;-)
jdixon

Apr 25, 2008
1:11 PM EDT
> I second Steve's "Looking forward to the Eee report"

I've asked Meredith. She's thinking about it. I can't make any promises, as any married person here knows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!