What Crystal Ball?

Story: Corporate Conversion to LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Apr 28, 2008
3:30 AM EDT
That prediction could have been made ten years ago.

Today it is not a prediction, but a fact.

More corporations may take the plunge thanks to the recession, but Linux is already a corporate reality and has been for years.

herzeleid

Apr 28, 2008
8:41 AM EDT
> More corporations may take the plunge thanks to the recession, but Linux is already a corporate reality and has been for years.

This is true - I've been placing linux servers in data centers for years. Even my ultra conservative daytime employer has been running linux servers since before the turn of the millennium.

Hard times may speed up the process by causing managers to look harder for ways to maximize their bang for the buck, and the associated flurry of activity may result in more press, but this is nothing new.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 28, 2008
8:47 AM EDT
I think the CTOs could very easily be open to the idea that by erasing their Windows bloatware, they effectively get an entire generation of "hardware" improvement out of their existing hardware, for $0 of external outlay.

But it all comes down to applications. The only way to actually get out from under Microsoft's thumb is to not use applications that require Microsoft platforms.

Still, the "upgrade without spending any money" argument is a good one.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!