Author Content
nikkels

May 12, 2008
10:37 PM EDT
Interesting article. Thanks Nikkels
jacog

May 13, 2008
4:20 AM EDT
I work at a company that develops its web app on Microsoft .NET. What strikes me is that they insist on using the supplied web components. Fair enough, it makes it fairly straight forward to add, for example, field validations. But Holy Shmoley you should see the client-side code it generates. Not necessarily bad code... just loads and loads of unnecessary javascript code all dynamically included.

Call me a glutton for punishment, but I have always preferred just adding my own client side scripting - it's really not that difficult. Unfortunately a lot of the developers here know very little about client side coding and usually just drag & drop the Microsoft stuffin because it's perceived to be easier.
tracyanne

May 13, 2008
4:47 AM EDT
It's the Viewstate that's the real killer on ASP.NET applications. Or at least can be, if you aren't careful.
jacog

May 13, 2008
4:54 AM EDT
You mean the fact that it plops in a bunch of hidden fields you were not expecing along with a loooooong encoded string containing the state? Indeed! I have a 340 byte string on one page here that contains the viewstate of just one dropdown box.
gus3

May 13, 2008
7:56 AM EDT
Let us not forget AJAX...
Bob_Robertson

May 13, 2008
8:22 AM EDT
So, how do I get AdBlockPlus to work in Konqueror?

I use some /etc/hosts file from a .RU site. But only on my primary machine, since my wife discovered her Chinese websites were useless with it in place.

techiem2

May 13, 2008
8:51 AM EDT
Quoting:So, how do I get AdBlockPlus to work in Konqueror?

Write a plugin that allows you to use firefox extensions in Konqueror? (assuming there isn't one already somewhere)

I use AdblockPlus, Noscript, and Cookie Monster to keep my browsing cleaner.

rijelkentaurus

May 13, 2008
9:04 AM EDT
http://www.krizka.net/2007/10/02/konqueror-and-adblock/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!