It's just a local Mirror

Story: Install Applications in Ubuntu without InternetTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

May 13, 2008
4:44 AM EDT
Works pretty much the same on RPM distributions. It really is no big deal.
montezuma

May 13, 2008
5:11 AM EDT
Ubuntu is newbie rich Trace.
jdixon

May 13, 2008
5:40 AM EDT
> Without an Internet connection, installing applications in Linux..."

Should actually read "Without an Internet connection, installing applications in a Debian based distribution...."

It's not true for all distributions.

Of course, this is just another example of someone using Ubuntu = Linux.
garymax

May 13, 2008
9:18 AM EDT
@jdixon

No truer words spoken here today. It's as if Ubuntu is being viewed as the total measure of Linux. At least with Slackware, you can configure everything before you get on the network. And source is always easy to get once you're up and running.
gus3

May 13, 2008
9:55 AM EDT
Does it show progress or mindshare-loss for Red Hat that they are no longer conflated with "Linux"?
rijelkentaurus

May 13, 2008
10:21 AM EDT
Come to North Carolina. Red Hat = Linux. And Red Hat measures "mind share" in $$, which they are getting a lot more of than Ubuntu. Way more.
jdixon

May 13, 2008
10:42 AM EDT
> And Red Hat measures "mind share" in $$, which they are getting a lot more of than Ubuntu. Way more.

For how long though? As an earlier article pointed out, this is where Red Hat's abandonment of the desktop may come back to bite them.
rijelkentaurus

May 13, 2008
11:17 AM EDT
Perhaps, perhaps not, remains to be seen. Red Hat has a very large desktop presence in the form of Fedora CentOS Piebox Scientific BLAG, etc, etc. Just because the name is not on it does not mean the spirit is not there. A rose by any other name and all that....
jdixon

May 13, 2008
11:22 AM EDT
> ...remains to be seen.

Agreed. But if I were the current CEO of Red Hat, I'd be worried. Of course, that may be why I'll never be a CEO. :)
flufferbeer

May 13, 2008
11:33 AM EDT
> Come to North Carolina. Red Hat = Linux. And Red Hat measures "mind share" in $$, which they are getting a lot more of than Ubuntu. Way more.

Come to New England, U.S. and you get right into the Novell Corporate and the FSF zones. The ironically opposite lotsa $$ and the few $$, sooo very close together in greater Boston. As in Waltham and Cambridge, MA

I also see a bit of a triangle here: M$--- is trying to get more "mind share in $$" with Novell's blessings. Novell has to juggle the Open Source and $$ communities. The FSF has to steadfastly maintain the GPL from the everpresent licensing "embrace and extend" attack strategies from M$--- (and thus indirectly Novell). A triangle.

Outside of this triangle, Ubuntu (like Red Hat) can mostly avoid some of the headaches Novell has to go through in its juggling acts.

rijelkentaurus

May 13, 2008
11:36 AM EDT
Novell has to go through hoops because they don't have the CENSORED to tell Microsoft to CENSORED themselves. They've got the products to make a serious run against MS on both the server and the desktop, but they don't seem to have the direction to make it work out.
garymax

May 13, 2008
11:55 AM EDT
rijelkentaurus,

All MS would have to do is start to rattle their saber against patent or IP theft and Novell would probably roll over. Now that the two are in an agreement I do not think MS would allow for any direct competition without using this agreement as a leverage point.

I think Novell has dug a hole for themselves in the long term. All that remains is to throw the dirt on top of them when they fall in eventually. At least Red Hat has the smarts to stay out of patent agreements with MS. Because if MS can enter into agreements with the more strategic suppliers of Linux, they will try and control the market through these agreements with the ever-present threat of a patent war.

Of course, this is just opinion and it remains to be seen what will happen.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!