Dear Asus

Story: Asus Eee PC 900 is a ripper not a rip-off: reviewTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Yfrwlf

May 25, 2008
4:32 PM EDT
Please remove the Windows XP version of your laptops from your website, as Microsoft is discontinuing support for it in June. Selling software which will soon be unsupported isn't respectful to your customers.

Also, regardless of Microsoft pushing you not to do so, you should offer the two versions with the same hardware, but charge less for the Linux version, allowing the price difference (and thus the cost of Windows) to be seen by customers, or tell Microsoft you won't offer XP if they don't allow you to do so. The way it is now is silly. Just because Microsoft doesn't want it to be visible to consumers that they are paying more when they buy a machine with Windows on it when they could be getting Linux doesn't mean you have to play along with them. That is one of Microsoft's worst fears, Linux becoming known as the "free OS that's just as good" to consumers and the media, but you should realize that they need to grow up and deal with it, it's called competition.

I wonder if Microsoft will spring up and suddenly extend XP support once again though when the deadline rolls around. Wouldn't surprise me, but consumers shouldn't have to hold their breath for something like that if they do go for the Windows model.
tracyanne

May 25, 2008
5:41 PM EDT
On the Network 9 (Australia) they have a morning show called Good morning Australia. On this show they show case new technologies, and other gadgets. They showcased the Asus recently..... the windows version. The presenter told his audience that Asus had to release the Windows version because there isn't enough software available for the Linux version.
Scott_Ruecker

May 25, 2008
5:58 PM EDT
Quoting:The presenter told his audience that Asus had to release the Windows version because there isn't enough software available for the Linux version.

A complete and utter lie.

/Coughs loudly

Sorry about that..
gus3

May 25, 2008
8:30 PM EDT
Well, when you count the viruses and spyware, the presenter probably has a point. Windows has the much longer list of available packages.
tracyanne

May 25, 2008
10:53 PM EDT
I hadn't though to of that gus, and here I was telling the person who told me that the presenter either had no idea, or was lying.
jacog

May 25, 2008
11:11 PM EDT
The thing about the lack of software is totally Asus' fault. There is an icon to add software, but when you open the built in package updater, there's nearly nothing in the listing to install. Some updates, but not that many.

Sure, you can use apt or Synaptic, but I am thinking of the unwitting buyer who has no idea what a .deb is or apt or a package manager.
jdixon

May 26, 2008
6:40 AM EDT
> The thing about the lack of software is totally Asus' fault.

Yep. But the Eee is not designed to be a general purpose computer. It's designed for a specific market and a specific purpose. The fact that it can be turned into a general purpose computer is a nice bonus, but that's not what Asus intended.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!