Nothin new here...

Story: Using chroot to Recover root PasswordsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
techiem2

Jun 03, 2008
2:54 PM EDT
I suspect most of us have known this for ages and have used it to "fix" lost root passwords (of our own or other systems). Though I don't generally go through all the mounting proc and dev and such to the chroot to do it.
obsidianreq

Jun 03, 2008
10:34 PM EDT
Mounting /dev and /proc are just to ensure system integrity in the new environment.

Of course, this whole article goes in to the "physical access to a machine is total access to a machine".
Bob_Robertson

Jun 04, 2008
3:25 AM EDT
I may be the only person who has never knowingly used chroot.

Boot a live CD and delete the encoded password from /etc/shadow, /etc/password, or where ever it is.

Then just change the password normally as soon as the machine is restarted, network disconnected.

People do need to grasp that physical access _is_ complete access, and learn strong encryption and effective back-up methods.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 04, 2008
3:44 AM EDT
Or boot with a live cd, change the /etc/inittab to runlevel 1, and reboot. Or change to runlevel 1 at the GRUB prompt, etc. There are other ways, not that this way isn't a good one to have in the bag.
rgviza

Jun 04, 2008
6:56 AM EDT
Then again, downloading and burning a live cd isn't even always necessary. Some linux distros will have a single user mode option on their installation cd. Just pop it in (even a very old one), boot to rescue mode, chroot /mnt/sysimage (or wherever it mounts the existing drive) and reset password.

@obsidianreq yep...
gus3

Jun 04, 2008
7:45 AM EDT
Defaulting to runlevel 1 doesn't work in Slackware, as the system will still use agetty logins. You must bypass init with

init=/bin/sh

on the kernel boot command line. (This is if you can boot the -huge kernel. I haven't done this with a -generic kernel and initrd.) Once you get your shell prompt, remount the root partition read-write with

mount -o remount,rw /dev/XXXX /

and then you can change your password. Remount root read-only (change "rw" to "ro" above) and reboot.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 04, 2008
8:01 AM EDT
Good to know about Slackware, I have already noticed that some of the commands I am used to don't work, most notably ifup and ifdown (as I have read, it would be ifconfig eth0 up/down). Just something else to get used to, I really like how fast this system is.
jdixon

Jun 04, 2008
9:02 AM EDT
> Defaulting to runlevel 1 doesn't work in Slackware, as the system will still use agetty logins.

Yes. Runlevel 1 is single user mode, but it still uses the login process. The Slackware install CD/DVD will let you mount your root partition and reset your password though, as noted above for other install CD's.
gus3

Jun 04, 2008
9:17 AM EDT
And if you don't have a working Slackware CD handy? (it got scratched when I wasn't looking)
jdixon

Jun 04, 2008
10:45 AM EDT
Well, as noted above, pretty much any install CD or live CD will work. You don't keep any live CD's around?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!