meh

Story: Revenge of the NerdetteTotal Replies: 26
Author Content
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2008
4:47 PM EDT
They're still obsessing over sex appeal and physical appearance.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 09, 2008
5:15 PM EDT
Very true Carla but I will throw out there that if RMS, Linus the rest of the Male "figures" in FOSS were say..a little easier on the eyes? that they would not get at least a little more attention for just that reason.

Please understand that I am trying to be funny here and poke fun at all the "hot" guys in FOSS, of which there are very few.

Me being one of them of course.

Of course.

;-)
pat

Jun 09, 2008
5:26 PM EDT
Hey, I'm hot too. Well, hot from biking to and from work and working in the garden, along with the 90 degree temp today.
jdixon

Jun 09, 2008
5:40 PM EDT
> Of course.

And Scott, having learned his lesson from earlier editors, will not allow any incriminating pictures demonstrating otherwise. Especially if they involve a pig. :)
pat

Jun 09, 2008
5:44 PM EDT
Oh, forgot to say, I completely agree with you Carla.

Why can't they just focus on why they chose to become engineers/scientists instead of tagging on the sex appeal marketing bs.

OSU has a great program called Women in Engineering. http://wie.eng.ohio-state.edu/welcome/welcome.html has a link to a much more appropriate video.

My daughter has been able to participate in their introduce a girl to engineering day the past two years and has really enjoyed it.
billbar

Jun 09, 2008
6:07 PM EDT
Sorry girls. I have long agreed with your point of view, but, dammit, there's a substantial body (sorry) of your gender that will not let sex appeal die (thankfully). Consider the comparative costuming of Hillary and Barack, ice skating stars, 'dancing with the stars'. Not to worry, though. We're catching up with you in earrings, necklaces. body piercings. Makeup is next.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 09, 2008
7:12 PM EDT
Especially if they involve a pig..LOL!!

gus3

Jun 09, 2008
8:41 PM EDT
Self-confidence: the #1 ingredient of sex appeal.

For me, anyway.

Besides, the more nerdettes (and nerds) have it, the better off we'll all be.
thenixedreport

Jun 09, 2008
9:00 PM EDT
Quoting:They're still obsessing over sex appeal and physical appearance.

Are you saying that because they never interviewed you?
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2008
9:20 PM EDT
Ok, so I read through this thread kind of fast, and it seems to be about hot ice-dancing pigs loaded down with piercings, jewelry and makeup. If it weren't for LXer I wouldn't have anything fun to think about.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 10, 2008
5:57 AM EDT
See Carla? Who ever said that ice-dancing pierced over done up pigs aren't fun?

LOL!
jdixon

Jun 10, 2008
7:09 AM EDT
> Who ever said that ice-dancing pierced over done up pigs aren't fun?

Wasn't there a country song about that? Something like "I Like my Porcine Just a Little on the Trashy Side"?
alc

Jun 10, 2008
7:14 AM EDT
http://www.innovatingtowin.com/innovating_to_win/images/pig-...
Bob_Robertson

Jun 10, 2008
7:20 AM EDT
> hot ice-dancing pigs loaded down with piercings, jewelry and makeup...

My mind, for some reason, instantly starts bringing up and reviewing images from Harajuku. Just do a google image search if you don't already know what I mean.

But seriously, I don't think most women are capable of understanding the maddening urgency of sex to the male mind. How it drives out every other thought, constantly.

So someone writes an article about hot women in F/OSS. Why? Because nothing else would come to mind once that thought occurred.

...And the thought _always_ occurs.

Someone bought up a statistic that young men think about sex every 15 seconds. I pointed out to them (female and shocked, shocked! that such could be true) that the 15 seconds is an _average_. Usually the thoughts last for hours at a time. It's just as frustrating and maddening for the male as it seems it might be.

It's a wonder that the male teenage suicide rate isn't 10 times what it is.
tuxchick

Jun 10, 2008
9:22 AM EDT
Geez Bob, and here I had this bizarre idea that most men had more on the ball than a single overpowering obsession with sex that renders them helpless and not responsible for their behavior no matter how obnoxious, and could actually be treated as real humans.

**edit** I have this equally crazy idea that women's bodies are not public property. So in the interest of finding a workable solution for all those poor near-suicidal men, how about the buddy system? Just guys helping each other out.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 10, 2008
9:39 AM EDT
Nope.

Oh sure, after a decade or so of dealing with the hormones, say 25 years old or so (unless a good partner to "relieve the pressure" as it were is found), the man figures out how to suppress the constant drive and get other things accomplished.

Haven't you read _Cryptonomicon_? Stephenson goes into the problems of male hormones effects on the brain very well. Each person is different, sure, but the unrelenting urgency never really goes away until the infirmities of age overtakes the body's ability to sustain the hormone flow.

But your "not responsible for their behavior" is incorrect. An individual is always responsible for their behavior, because it is always possible to say "no". Difficult, sure, but that is the measure of being human.

I still wouldn't be the one to hand a 15 to 25 year old male tequila and a handgun at the same time.

Some females experience comparable hormone levels for about one week a month, and "we" let them get away with severe emotional swings. The same kind of understanding and compassion should be extended to the male, who has to deal with it constantly.

Of course, there are also some, almost all female, who never feel that kind of hormonal confusion. They're missing out on a great roller-coaster ride, once it's understood what is really going on.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 10, 2008
10:09 AM EDT
> I have this equally crazy idea that women's bodies are not public property.

Each individual has the liberty to capitalize on what skills they have. The fact that some women choose to put physical beauty and attractiveness forward as their commercial asset is no different than that I prostitute myself to employers for my abilities to design, build and troubleshoot computer networks.

Sex sells, and attractive women who know the value of what they have make a very good living. The smart ones set up their careers and businesses so that once past the age of physical "saleability" they have other things to sell.

Madonna is an excellent example of diversification.

Tuxchick, you make your living (that I am aware of) by writing and selling articles and books. Shall a supermodel berate you for wasting your time, not making as much money as she does?

I do not berate Tom Cruz and Colin Farrell for capitalizing on their supposed physical attributes, nor get the impression that the male body is public property because of billboards featuring male underware models, just because I look more like Stephen Root than Ron Livingston (for you Office Space fans).

I know several very attractive female programmers, managers and engineers. I also know several very homely female, and male, programmers, managers and engineers. But that is not what _they_ are selling.
tuxchick

Jun 10, 2008
11:00 AM EDT
Heh Bob, do you really believe everything you post?
Bob_Robertson

Jun 10, 2008
11:13 AM EDT
Hey, TC, do you really believe everything you write?

**Edit**

Ok, to be fair, you did ask first and it's impolite to answer a question with a question, etc.

Yes. I consider honesty the best policy, even, or maybe even especially, when posting anonymously. Not only does it cost nothing to tell the truth, it builds courage and character to be honest in everything.

I may be wrong, after all no one knows everything, but by being honest I am also open to the opportunity to learn new things.

For an excellent statement on this subject, I recommend Penn Jillette's "There Is No God": http://www.thisibelieve.org/dsp_ShowEssay.php?uid=34
thenixedreport

Jun 10, 2008
4:13 PM EDT
Oh fer cryin' out loud!

Both of you get a room!

*runs and hides*
jacog

Jun 11, 2008
12:28 AM EDT
I have a crazy idea too. How about every time we hear of women in engineering, computing, etc. we DON'T go "ooooh" and "aaaah" as if we secretly believe women are not capable of doing these jobs. I think the mere fact that this article was written is offensive.
thenixedreport

Jun 11, 2008
1:31 PM EDT
Quoting:I think the mere fact that this article was written is offensive.

Oh well. If it shows that society is becoming more accepting of what everyone can do, then I see a good thing.
garymax

Jun 11, 2008
7:51 PM EDT
Gentlemen, gentlemen!

When we hear of those of the opposite morphological persuasion making inroads into hallowed networking space, let us be glad for them--wishing success to those who successfully make the grade. Without regard to exterior features which have not one wit to do with their professionalism or their ability.

Bringing hormonal changes into the mix and constantly obsessing over the outer "shell" (Yes, that had "pun" written all over it. Boy, am I creative), which are not germane to the discussion, is not wise. After all, dare we question the super market worker in aisle #5 about their hormone levels? And why they should be a cashier instead?

Nay, nary a day goes by when this isn't brought up in coffee houses across the continent. Is this what should dominate our conversation? Is this what we've come to? Oh, the shame...the irony...the..well, you get the idea.

Or should we assume those who hold said positions are one hormone molecule away from destruction?

I trow not!

Yea, verily, let us remember that one can lead a horse to water; But if you can make it roll over and bark, you've got something special! :-)

Quoting:Self-confidence: the #1 ingredient of sex appeal.

I am confident that I'm ugly...does that count? I mean, one day, I told a woman that underneath, we're all brothers. She told me to go back inside and send my brother out!!

(Being a copywriter I can blow a lot of purple smoke...)
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2008
7:59 PM EDT
wow, garymax. Just... wow.

:)
garymax

Jun 11, 2008
8:07 PM EDT
tuxchick

Glad you liked it. I am available for speaking engagements...tee hee hee :-)
garymax

Jun 11, 2008
8:12 PM EDT
tuxchick

I believe it can be summed up as follows:

Be respectful and kind to the women in your life because one day, they just might be your system administrator!
thenixedreport

Jun 11, 2008
8:24 PM EDT
...........................................................................lalalalalalalala...

Back on topic.... I wish they would have mentioned the fact that the computer company that Cathy is with is an Ubuntu OEM! The fact they didn't bothers me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!