Yet another demonstration

Story: Approximately 800 vulnerabilities discovered in antivirus productsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 09, 2008
12:12 AM EDT
of why Anti Virus Software is a broken fix for the problem.
moopst

Jul 09, 2008
9:09 PM EDT
It's like shooting rubber bands at grizzly bears with one small difference. Keep your rubber band file, I mean signature file up to date. Oh, the difference: grizzly bears can actually be hurt by rubber bands.
azerthoth

Jul 09, 2008
9:37 PM EDT
hurt, no, annoy, yes.

Thats why you never go hunting with someone in bear country who is only carrying a .22 and is wearing track shoes.
jdixon

Jul 10, 2008
2:31 PM EDT
> ...never go hunting with someone in bear country who is only carrying a .22...

I once heard of someone (I never met him personally, but we had a common acquaintance) who hunted bear with a bow. He's a braver (or stupider, your choice) man than I am.
phsolide

Jul 10, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
Does anyone know why all the AV vulnerabilities have come out now (or at least in the last year)?

Nobody *ever* used to give out vulnerabilities for AV software. I seem to remember reading the Famed Security Researcher Tom Ptacek publicly envying the AV vendors for their ability to suppress vulnerability reports.
moopst

Jul 10, 2008
8:53 PM EDT
If you shoot them right in the eye you could actually hurt a bear. A computer virus doesn't care if it gets caught 99.99999% of the time. What are you going to do, put it in jail?

Actually my point is the very existence of viable virii is where the problem lies. And AV is like one fly swatter per fly.
gus3

Jul 10, 2008
10:16 PM EDT
Quoting:Does anyone know why all the AV vulnerabilities have come out now (or at least in the last year)?
Public pressure. SANS has been all over this for years. It's just one more entry point for malware.

Better to design security (authentication, authorization) into the system, than to tack it on afterwards.
thenixedreport

Jul 11, 2008
10:24 AM EDT
What would really be cool is if an AV product were to catch a virus, track its point of origin, and send it right back where it came from.... mwahahahahahahhaa!
gus3

Jul 11, 2008
8:27 PM EDT
Redmond.

In fairness, the first one I ever saw was on a system designed in Cupertino.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!