Good Idea.

Story: Best Buy stores to sell boxed version of Ubuntu LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
tymiles

Jul 10, 2008
5:33 AM EDT
This is a good idea at this price. I go to Micro Center in the US and they have been one of the biggest sellers of Linux and BSD over the years. But a lot of the times the marketing was bad and also the price was WAY too high.

MS stuff is always all over computer stores. And more important its on the End Caps. The part of the isle you first see when you come to it.

Product placement is the key here. If its just thrown on the bottom of a shelf then no one will see it unless looking for it.

My thing has always been that a company like Ubuntu (In the US) needs to partner up with a OEM and sell their products on QVC. or make an infomercial. Tiger Direct does those and they do very well. They market their PC's on QVC etc and make good money from what I understand. Dell even sells PC's on QVC and the Home Shopping Network.

If people can sit down for 30 minutes and watch a GOOD demo of how Linux works when pre installed and what you can do with it and how it works with Windows, how to install apps etc. More people would be interested.

Also another key marketing point would be support. The fact that for a low fee you can buy support at any time you need help. A lot of people don't know or don't think you can do that with MS and Apple. They think that once it doesnt work or that have a problem it's best to call a friend cause it will cost an arm and a leg to call MS.

Canonical has the chance here to make their name number 3 in the PC market (Microsoft, Apple, Canonical)
Sander_Marechal

Jul 10, 2008
6:05 AM EDT
Quoting:If people can sit down for 30 minutes and watch a GOOD demo of how Linux works when pre installed and what you can do with it and how it works with Windows, how to install apps etc. More people would be interested.

Great idea. Why not hop over to http://thetuxproject.com/ and see if they can help you realise this?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!