Hope your hair ain't singed...

Story: Linux Hater's Blog actually well worth readingTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2008
4:32 PM EDT
but you are right.

The guy's more sensible -- and expletives aside, more stylish than most.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 18, 2008
7:20 PM EDT
The fact is that every major operating system (Windows, OS X, Linux, pick-your-BSD, OS/2, Haiku) and surrounding software environment has its strengths and weaknesses.

The key is picking the system that's best for the task. The other key is addressing the weaknesses without unduly diluting the strengths.

That's pretty much all we talk about here, right?
azerthoth

Jul 18, 2008
8:01 PM EDT
I can appreciate satire, when done right. In general though I prefer subtle satire that leaves you wondering if you actually just saw/read/heard what you thought you did. LHB is more along the line of expecting a nerf sword fight and finding one of the guys lined his with a lead pipe type of satire.

I see the satire, I just find it poorly done and mildly repulsive. But thats just me.
tracyanne

Jul 18, 2008
8:22 PM EDT
Quoting:I just find it poorly done and mildly repulsive. But thats just me

Not just you. It comes across as very American to me, not subtle like the Poms can do.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 19, 2008
12:10 AM EDT
What Azerthoth and Tracyanne said.
dinotrac

Jul 19, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
> It comes across as very American to me

Odd, I took it for Australian.
tracyanne

Jul 19, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
Could be, they both start with an A and end with an N. Can't be Australian, there's no Crocs or sheilas mentioned.
dinotrac

Jul 19, 2008
7:14 PM EDT
No Crocs or sheilas?

Ahem --- Microsoft engineers and Jessica Alba as a sex slave!!!

Sure, didn't use the actual TERMS "crocs" and "sheilas", but we knew what he meant.
tracyanne

Jul 19, 2008
7:38 PM EDT
Ooh that's subtle, it must be Australian.
gus3

Jul 19, 2008
8:02 PM EDT
The only Sheila I know is a cutie. Too bad for me she married my cousin.
dinotrac

Jul 20, 2008
2:45 AM EDT
>Too bad for me she married my cousin.

Hmmm. Do you like the cousin?
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 20, 2008
7:41 AM EDT
>It comes across as very American to me

I love it! I guess we are known for not being subtle aren't we?

I wish I wasn't American sometimes. LOL!!
gus3

Jul 20, 2008
8:01 AM EDT
Quoting:>Too bad for me she married my cousin.

Hmmm. Do you like the cousin?
Yeah, he's one of the good guys.
dinotrac

Jul 20, 2008
8:53 AM EDT
>I wish I wasn't American sometimes.

I never feel that way, probably due to subtle differences between us.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 20, 2008
7:06 PM EDT
The criticism comes from a more "inside" perspective, from someone who actually uses FOSS but not exclusively, so there's more to it than can be ascribed to "angry Americanism."

I guess I appreciate the criticism and, yes, even analysis.

When the guy says that the fragmentation among office applications and desktop environments makes FOSS weaker instead of stronger, I don't necessarily believe it 100 percent, nor do do I disagree with it fully.

Yeah, it's a sledge hammerish way of pointing out some of the political and technical conditions in Linux and the rest of FOSS, but it doesn't sound like it's MS-sponsored, so that is a point in its favor.
number6x

Jul 21, 2008
6:11 AM EDT
I read the article and the message I got from the 'Linux Hater' was....

Not Really Quoted...
Quoting:"whine! whine! whine!"

"Why can't this work like MS office? Why can't that be more like Windows. This thing over here is pretty good, but its different from the MS way of doing it.

There are too many different ways to do things, MS has one way."

"whine! whine! whine!"

If you like MS Windows, and MS office and if MS software works for you then use it.

Use what gets the job done for you and quit whining.
gus3

Jul 21, 2008
7:46 AM EDT
Quoting:Use what gets the job done for you and quit whining.
Um, no.

Not when "using" includes "oh, and by the way, by using this product, you implicitly declare that you will allow our thugs and goons to audit your computers and all their storage devices' contents at our whim."

You accepted the EULA, didn't you? It may not help you be more productive, but it gets the job done for Microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!