One more ethernet port....

Story: CherryPal Mini PC Makes Firefox the OSTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Jul 21, 2008
4:39 PM EDT
If this thing had one more ethernet port, I'd buy them and start selling them to my clients as firewalls (assuming I can boot off an external hard drive in order to image the flash, or install a system). For less than $300 you can have something that's better than anything Linksys or SonicWALL (who my company generally sells to businesses) can come up with, with a web cache, gateway AV and content filter rolled into it. Is there anything like this with two ethernet ports?
techiem2

Jul 21, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
USB ethernet card? (yes I know, not exactly ideal, but doable)
rijelkentaurus

Jul 21, 2008
4:59 PM EDT
Yes, doable for me, but hard as heck to convince a client of...perhaps a non-profit, but not a for-profit company.
techiem2

Jul 21, 2008
5:45 PM EDT
hehe. True.
gus3

Jul 21, 2008
8:14 PM EDT
Or one-NIC NAT? One Ethernet card, with a conventional external address and an aliased internal address. Yes, the best throughput is half what it could normally be, but on a budget, it works.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 22, 2008
9:16 AM EDT
If you're doing firewalls and routers, just go for a Soekris ...
rijelkentaurus

Jul 22, 2008
1:08 PM EDT
Hey, those are cheap...and right what I'm looking for! Cool, thanks.
number6x

Jul 22, 2008
1:12 PM EDT
wireless firewall/gateway for coffee shop or small business might work.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 22, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
The storage is in the Amazon cloud ...
rijelkentaurus

Jul 22, 2008
3:39 PM EDT
You should be able to image it with whatever you want, I suppose...assuming it boots with a PC or USB drive, which most things do now.
azerthoth

Jul 23, 2008
9:25 AM EDT
Just hope they didn't take the approach that OLPC did. Getting a seperate OS to boot on that lime green brick can be a real treat. If you ever try, give yourself a couple of days, one of which is getting the security key from them that will allow you to do it at all in the first place. After that, the real fun begins.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!