I hate it when they do this...

Story: CherryPal Mini PC Makes Firefox the OSTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
techiem2

Jul 21, 2008
4:46 PM EDT
Quoting:The device runs a version of Debian Linux behind the scenes; however, the browser is really the application through which the user interfaces with the machine. Essentially, Firefox is the unit's operating system.

NO. Firefox is the unit's User Interface (and even that has to be running on something else...like an X server). The OS is still the OS. (yes, I know there could be an argument here as to what exactly defines the OS, but I personally still maintain the OS is the OS and the User Interface isn't)

That said, it does look like an interesting device. Though I wonder what they are actually referring to when they say iTunes is one of the preloaded applications...as last I checked iTunes didn't run on Linux... And I'm personally still not real keen on having all my data stored "out there" somewhere, but some people might find something like this ideal for their usage habits.

Steven_Rosenber

Jul 22, 2008
9:18 AM EDT
It does have OpenOffice, I think, so there's probably a terminal and a few other utilities on there.

However, if things were set up right, I wouldn't mind using a browser to control the configuration.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!