LVM2 and mirroring

Story: The Mess That is Linux Volume ManagementTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
jylenhof

Jul 25, 2008
8:55 AM EDT
For now, I tend to prefer hard raid disk instead of logical raid disk on PC server. But as you're looking for it there's a mirror option in lvm, so soft raid is not the only solution.

lvcreate [--addtag Tag] [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A/--autobackup y/n] [-C/--contiguous y/n] [-d/--debug] [-h/-?/--help] [-i/--stripes Stripes [-I/--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l/--extents LogicalExtentsNum? ber[%{VG|PVS|FREE}] | -L/--size LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]} [-M/--persistent y/n] [--minor minor] [-m/--mirrors Mirrors [--nosync] [--mirrorlog {disk|log}] [--corelog]

But there's still a problem, it needs a third disk for the log or the mirror will be reconstructed at each reboot.
brem

Aug 03, 2008
5:55 AM EDT
Hi,

Hardware RAID is not applicable in all cases, in mine it is not for what I want to do.

I need to mirror 2 FC disks from 2 disk arrays, this is not Hardware RAID possible.

cf my blog at http://brehak.blogspot.com/2008/08/lvm2.html for detailed explanation on what I'm trying to do

The thing would be to submit RFE's to the LVM2 development team, based on the most popular features, especially taking into account the professional uses of Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!