short answer

Story: How To Patch BIND9 Against DNS Cache Poisoning (Debian/Fedora/CentOS)Total Replies: 5
Author Content
herzeleid

Jul 29, 2008
11:10 AM EDT
for debian based distros:

apt-get update;apt-get upgrade

Sander_Marechal

Jul 29, 2008
11:47 AM EDT
Almost. You need to enable dnssec as well :-)
tuxchick

Jul 29, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
Sander, what means 'enable dnssec'? Is there an actual working implementation we can use? Or is that sly geek humor? A number of "tech" reporters have said the same thing, which is why I wonder if it's real :)
Sander_Marechal

Jul 29, 2008
2:14 PM EDT
@tc: From the article:

Quoting:Afterwards open /etc/bind/named.conf and modify the options section. [...] you should add "dnssec-enable yes;" - this makes that BIND answers queries on random ports which are harder to guess for hackers

Of course, this assumes that someone who runs BIND has modified /etc/bind/named.conf and thus will not simply install the package maintainer's version.
herzeleid

Jul 29, 2008
4:47 PM EDT
Quoting:Afterwards open /etc/bind/named.conf and modify the options section. [...] you should add "dnssec-enable yes;" - this makes that BIND answers queries on random ports which are harder to guess for hackers
I never specifically enabled dnssec nor mention it anywhere in named.conf, and yet the dns security test sites claim that my name servers "passed" or show "excellent" port randomization...
hughesjr

Jul 30, 2008
6:25 AM EDT
dnssec (at least in CentOS) is not required to enable random ports.

The only thing that is required is:

yum update

and then to edit /etc/named.conf and verify that you do not have any active rules that include "query-source" (here is an example):

query-source address * port 53;

That rule will make the outbound port be 53 for all queries.

dnssec is a very complicated set up .. though that is recommended ... but JUST enabling one rule in named.conf is not going to cut it :-D

http://www.dnssec.net/

http://www.dnssec-tools.org/wiki/index.php/Authoritative_Ser...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!