Really....?

Story: KDE 4.1.0 disappointsTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
xvalentinex

Aug 01, 2008
11:36 AM EDT
Your this hard up for sensationalism, that you post such a poorly done and innacurrate review?

I'm thinking about taking LXer off my news feeds.
jdixon

Aug 01, 2008
11:43 AM EDT
> I'm thinking about taking LXer off my news feeds.

Because they post reviews covering all opinions on a matter? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
bigg

Aug 01, 2008
11:56 AM EDT
You are free to post the problems with the article. That's one of the reasons we are given the opportunity to discuss articles.

I don't think you fully understand how LXer works. Anyone can suggest articles. Only if the editors think they are off-topic or have some other serious flaw will they choose not to publish it. There's just no way the editors could read every article and verify that it is 100% correct.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 01, 2008
12:02 PM EDT
The content of the articles is the responsibility of the writer(s). If you do not like the article, you have the right to feel that way. We only take responsibility for the LXer Features that are written by our Editors.

Sander_Marechal

Aug 01, 2008
12:03 PM EDT
@jdixon: Don't eat the new people, please? There's plenty of old coasters to feed off. I believe there's still a piece of Libervis between your teeth.

@xvalentinex: We post all the news. Good and bad. Prose and (sometimes) diatribe. I welcome you to write a rebuttal or an alternative review and submit it here: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/stories/
azerthoth

Aug 01, 2008
12:03 PM EDT
LXer, being done in by it's own success and popularity. We are there folks, LXer is now attracting opinionated trolls who express their closing statements as their whole post without building a framework for opinion or facts to justify any closing argument.

WOOHOO!!!

Success.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 01, 2008
12:06 PM EDT
Hehe :-) So many replies between me hitting "reply", writing the post and hitting "submit". We're fast aren't we :-)
tuxchick

Aug 01, 2008
12:18 PM EDT
I'm just gnawing a peanut butter sandwich here. Got any popcorn?
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 01, 2008
12:18 PM EDT
Azerthoth.. Your hilarious, and right it seems.

Cool, its like I have been saying for some time. Little by little we are on our way towards being the place to go to find out what is going on in the world FOSS news. This is just another sign that we are on track and succeeding.

NoDough

Aug 01, 2008
12:22 PM EDT
>> I'm just gnawing a peanut butter sandwich here. Got any popcorn?

Peanut butter and popcorn? Sorry, but ewwww.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 01, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
Sander_...,

Quoting:@jdixon: ... I believe there's still a piece of Libervis between your teeth.

I am sure just a little bit of FLOSSing will clean away that problem.
azerthoth

Aug 01, 2008
1:09 PM EDT
oh noes, I was right about something? can we keep this quite? I do have a reputation to uphold you know.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 01, 2008
1:54 PM EDT
Sorry Azer, You will now be expected to be right about everything, all the time, every time.

Ok everyone, grab your helmets...

LOL!!
tracyanne

Aug 01, 2008
2:52 PM EDT
I haven't read the article this thread is connected with.

I installed Mandriva 2009.0 Beta 1, with the Final release of KDE 4.1. I certainly was disappointed. It hasn't moved on much, if any, from the Beta I was testing the other week. In addition I still can't find a use for things like Folder view that doesn't leave me with a giant Icon on my desktop. It also doesn't seem to be any more stable than the Beta.

The more I use KDE 4, the more annoying I find the way in which the toolbar (I don't know what else to call it) pops out on one side or another of the icons, sorry plasmoids. I have worked out what causes it to choose the side it pops out on. It pops out on the side the mouse moved onto the plasmoid from. The only way to stop this toolbar from popping out is to lock the widgets, which means ALL widgets get locked.

I can't resize the Folder view such that it fills the entire desktop area, at lease then I'd get a set of Desktop icons, I could live with that. But as it stands what I get is a giant icon filled with smaller Icons, that even worse that what you get now, and when they are inside a plasmoid the icons don't have a toolbar popping out, just because you moused over it.

Sander_Marechal

Aug 01, 2008
3:32 PM EDT
I tried KDE 4.1 as well today (using an OpenSUSE Live CD) and I must say I was also a tad disappointed. The basics work okay. I actually really like the the FolderView. I wish Gnome had that. But the KDE applications still annoy me when I use them. Also, I don't like the Oxygen look. It looks great in all the KDE screenshots I see, but when I actually use it on my computer, with applications maximized, it looks a whole lot less attractive. I much prefer Gnome's Clearlooks + Tango icon set. It's cleaner and more defined. Oh, and I really hate the new KDE menu. It takes far too many clicks to find anything. The old menu is much better but it's smaller and harder to read.
tracyanne

Aug 01, 2008
3:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Also, I don't like the Oxygen look.

Yeah that is a disappointment. Luckily there are a few other choices.
jdixon

Aug 01, 2008
4:11 PM EDT
> Don't eat the new people, please?

I apologize, Sander. I'll try not to be so abrasive in the future.

> ...oh noes, I was right about something?

A hazard of the frequent poster, azerthoth. It happens to all of us eventually. :)
dinotrac

Aug 01, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
Wait -- New people?

You mean it's feeding time again?

Hope this batch is pre-tenderized.
azerthoth

Aug 01, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
/me rummages for a hammer

got it covered dino
DrDubious

Aug 01, 2008
9:00 PM EDT
You suck! (I'll leave it up to the readers to pick which "you" that statement refers to...)

As for me, so far I'm finding 4.1 is a HUGE improvement over 4.0, though it definitely does still have some annoyances and missing features from the late 3.5 series (there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to the signal-strength meter from kwifimanager, I still can't get the kde 4.1 Akregator to run a second time without crashing unless I wipe my feed archives (the 3.5.x version seems to have no trouble with the same files)...still, it's really not bad at all. It's basically what optimistic folks expected 4.0 to be, I think.

I also think the shortcomings will be addressed pretty quickly. What little I've seen of the new "plasmoids" concept makes it look to me like it'll be much easier for people to whip up fairly complex new features to work in the KDE 4.x environment without having to get stuff released with the core source code.
tracyanne

Aug 01, 2008
9:04 PM EDT
The point of the Folder View is

Quoting:...yet another set of steps in the move away from a file-centric system and toward one that is flexible enough to work the way you do rather than making you work the way the computer thinks you should.

The problem is I don't see how that works. I have, now, the choice between having a lot of [file centric, I suppose] icons on my desktop, or a very large Icon, or a number of them, [that is not file centric, as it's by definition Folder centric], with a lot of Icons that might be either folder centric or file centric, depending on which Icon you are intersted in, and in return for this "extra flexibility" I get 2 crippled Filemanagers (Konqueror and Dolphin), neither of which has a means of viewiingg tthe filesystem the way I want to, thereby stopping me from working

Quoting:...the way you do rather than making you work the way the computer thinks you should

The problem is, at least in part, that KDE 4.1 is not really release material, it is, as the writer puts it

Quoting:... a “beta release,” or better yet a “feature preview release” ...

I say in part, because the removal of key functionality that is in Konqueror in KDE3, seems to be deliberate.

In addition the release version of KDE4.1 seems to me to be less stable than the Beta Version I was testing the other week. I can't get the Desktop Grid to work, for example, that bit I really like, but it's not working for me on this release.
gus3

Aug 01, 2008
10:22 PM EDT
There is "file-centric," and there is "task-centric."

Each is simply a variation on a starting point. The first starts with the data, and then deduces which program to launch based on either file extension, or file contents (metadata or data).

The second starts with a task, then asks the user which appropriate file the user wishes to act upon. (Launch OOo, then choose File/Open, then choose a .odt file.)

The icons on my desktop pertain to either files or tasks. I don't have a file called "OpenOffice.org", therefore it is a task. My "Home" icon doesn't pertain to a task, so it must be a file (or file collection: directory).

What other "*-centric" models are there? Am I missing some major point here?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!