Twm didn't make the list!?! Heresy!

Story: 20 Most Nimble and Simple X Window Managers for LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
phsolide

Aug 03, 2008
9:45 AM EDT
I can't believe that the One True Lightweight Window Manager, "twm', which comes by default with X11, did NOT make this list. What the hell!?!

Twm has the abilityt of more-or-less infinite configurability, and as a major benefit, does NOT have to use dopey icons. Almost every window manager does icons very poorly, sometimes confusing files with processes, and/or assigning the same icon to many processes.

Human have already worked out the best "icons", and they look like the spines of books. You can configure twm to make icons like that, and to group icons by "type" - Xterms over here, Firefoxes over there, other apps in yet another place. Vim, compiled correctly, puts the name of the file under edit in the little book-spine icon, another huge help. I do notice that you have to be literate for this to work...

I have used twm as my default window manager for years, at least since 1994, when I bought a 25 MHz SPARC IPC and ran NetBSD 1.0 on it, and maybe before that, i don't remember.

Let me know, and I'll email my .twmrc file (144 lines!) to anyone who asks.
tuxchick

Aug 03, 2008
5:49 PM EDT
Haha, my favorite IceWM made the list! :)

I like articles like this- there were several that I had not heard of.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 03, 2008
6:05 PM EDT
I hadn't heard of most of those.

My favorites are Fluxbox, Fvwm and JWM ...
gus3

Aug 03, 2008
6:25 PM EDT
FVWM was on the list, but there was no associated mention of FVWM-Crystal:

http://fvwm-crystal.org/screenshots.html

Certainly, the "F" no longer stands for "feeble."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!