Red Oracle?

Story: LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and PicturesTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 05, 2008
7:11 PM EDT
What an amazing coincidence- not only does Oracle Unbreakable Linux look an awful lot like Red Hat Linux, their color scheme is the same too! I'm sure these similarities are purely coincidental.
herzeleid

Aug 05, 2008
8:07 PM EDT
I asked oracle today about support for ubuntu. They sneered, explaining that there were no plans to support ubuntu, as it's not "enterprise ready". They would have have customers run red hat, or the oracle red hat clone.

That does it, I'm making it my project to find ways to begin reducing our oracle expenditures and move as much and as quickly as possible to database vendors who don't restrict our choice of distro. I don't want some silly app vendor trying to tell us what distros are enterprise ready.
gus3

Aug 05, 2008
8:42 PM EDT
Quoting:They sneered
As in, they mocked you?

If that's the case, you should call Oracle tech support and report it to management.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 05, 2008
9:07 PM EDT
So, does everyone believe that I am actually in San Fran and have attended LinuxWorld? LOL

Sander_Marechal

Aug 05, 2008
9:47 PM EDT
Well, we yet have to see any pictures of you actually being there... For all we know you simply offered herzeleid a hundred bucks for his pictures and you're drinking away the rest of your budget in a cocktail bar in downtown Phoenix ;-D
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 05, 2008
10:00 PM EDT
Quoting:and you're drinking away the rest of your budget in a cocktail bar in downtown Phoenix ;-D

Hey now! I am drinking away what's left of my budget in a bar in downtown San Francisco mind you. :-P

herzeleid

Aug 05, 2008
10:33 PM EDT
You suspect him of hanging out in downtown phoenix?

Hmm.. Phoenix: 112 degrees. San Francisco: 68 degrees. I don't think so.

But seriously folks, I've been looking for Scott and I've had absolutely no luck. And to top it off, the pictures he posted look suspiciously like some of the very images I emailed him this afternoon. What's up with that?
herzeleid

Aug 05, 2008
10:41 PM EDT
> As in, they mocked you?

They were not disrespectful of me, but they gave the strong impression that they hold their noses at any distro other than their own redhat clone. I've run a lot of distros and I'm here to tell you ubuntu does a fine job as a server. I told them the market would eventually have them singing a different tune.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 06, 2008
5:02 AM EDT
Quoting:So, does everyone believe that I am actually in San Fran and have attended LinuxWorld?

Not I! Everyone should know you are a card carrying Moonie, right now siting on that gray silt sipping super cooled beer through a straw. While wheeling your machine by remote control in S.F. at the AshCan summit. Give me a break, i know you are on the same set they used to film the phony NASA moon landing.

Your damn robot cannot even take steady pictures. I guess it's getting too lubricated on the free oil.

You can't fool me that easily this time ... by the way when are you going to visit me on Mars at the studio down the hall?

Txt.

P.S. Next you will be telling everyone that ice like substance was water on Mars. Well,everyone knows it dry ice and the erosion seen was caused by bursting forth of carbon dioxide as a critical state liquid that carved up the landscape with violent rapidity that then quickly vaporized. Mars is young as the Earth. It says so in the new text I am writing. You will see.
flufferbeer

Aug 06, 2008
5:41 AM EDT
Well.... a friend of a colleague mentioned that there WAS a sighting of you at LinuxWorld. You were checking out the Installfest for Schools area in the back of the Exhibits floor, and one of the other volunteers apparently greeted you as a "Mr. Ruecker" or "Dr. Ruecker" (LOL). SJVN was also spotted in this same area of the floor, which is itself near the heavily-visited LUGs and .org areas.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 06, 2008
6:52 AM EDT
Steven and I met in the media area just off the floor, very cool guy, I asked him about leaving ziff-davis ans stuff. I will take pictures of my self to ensure proof of my attendance. I will be wearing a dark green backpack, and I will be in the .org pavillion and install fest for most of my time on the floor.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 06, 2008
6:53 AM EDT
Quoting:I asked him about leaving ziff-davis ans stuff

So, LXer has the scoop? Or can't you publish it? :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 06, 2008
7:08 AM EDT
Its not something I would want too. It would be seen as nothing but the throwing of dirt and I will not soil LXer's reputation, whatever reputation we may have, for that or any story like it. Ok ok ok, I'll tell.

To put it in a sentence..

Ziff wanted to make their bottom line look better so they got rid of all their senior writers and hired newbies. As told to me by SJVN.

Makes sense to me, if you want to immediately become irrelevant and not be taken seriously, at least less than you already were, you do just what they did...idiots.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 06, 2008
7:10 AM EDT
By the way,

I am on my way to Mel's Diner (just west of the Moscone Center) for some breakfast, I will be wearing a Los Angeles Fire Dept. t-shirt if you are there. Then its back to the PickWick Hotel to get ready..

Proof? Proof? Huh? Huh? LOL!!!!!!!!!

Sander_Marechal

Aug 06, 2008
7:23 AM EDT
Heh. No wonder the stories at DesktopLinux and other sites are so bad these days. That said, I see SJVN's name around in quite a few other webzines these days. I don't imagine he's much worse off than he was with Ziff.
tuxchick

Aug 06, 2008
7:23 AM EDT
Quoting: Ziff wanted to make their bottom line look better so they got rid of all their senior writers and hired newbies

Typical spin- I happen to know a pig was involved.
gus3

Aug 06, 2008
7:58 AM EDT
Now, now, TC, that's no way to talk about the owners...

LOL
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 06, 2008
8:00 AM EDT
He didn't complain about any bread being taken off of his table. He has always had options when it comes to who he writes for.
lcafiero

Aug 07, 2008
10:11 AM EDT
Herzeleid said: They sneered . . .

Funny, they sneered at me, too. And all I asked them for was a bag. I think that's the Oracle way.

TxtEdMacs

Aug 07, 2008
11:17 AM EDT
I-see-A,

What kind of bag? The kind airlines give out when you feel air sickness coming on? That's the opinion bag thrown at them repeatedly by drive by shooters that are reluctant to risk a capital charge. You would sneer too if that's the respect you got from those at the lofty echelons of the corporate hierarchy to the lowest level of inept users. It that's the regard you had, you too would sneer.

Just maybe, the response might have differed if you inquired about an employment while you surreptitiously filched a bag or two. With Oracle that is the better approach. Had they caught you in the act, you might have been hired on the spot.

[Part of my creative writing assignment, no intention to sully Oracle's good name. Not meant to be libelous or to be otherwise legally actionable. All characters living or dead are purely imaginary, with the exception of the crooked airlines ... and as in all fiction not relating to real characters or events. Otherwise see my lawyer.]

Larry, it's your buddy Txt. with the highest of regards.
lcafiero

Aug 09, 2008
7:11 AM EDT
Txt --

Nope, not an air-sickness bag, but just a regular bag for materials and swag. You know the drill at Linux World: Park the fork lift outside, get bag(s) for the metric tons of swag hurled at you, return to forklift, go home. Repeat the following day. You'll never go shirtless again.

TxtEdMacs

Aug 09, 2008
8:12 AM EDT
Really, look at how the post was addressed: I-see-A,

I prescribe an immediate mega dose of unseriousness pills, forthwith. While I am not a doctor, not even having played one in either a commercial or even in a soap, hence, I am barred from prescribing medication, I can legally, however, preface my name with a "Dr." in polite company. Nonetheless, I am bound not to prescribe therapeutic drugs not having taken the full treatment in a recognized medical school. However, I have taught medical students as part of their medical studies. Would that suffice to hasten your following my advice of getting an injection of humor into your vitreous? I sense you are in dire need.

Warning, any post seen under my byline where it is not noted to have serious tags is meant to be enjoyed for its implicit disconnect from culturally agreed upon reality. However, as I have posted elsewhere humor can plumb deeper truth than serious discourse, if done correctly.

Understood?

Your buddy Txt., just trying to get you to loosen up.
gus3

Aug 09, 2008
11:21 AM EDT
http://panexa.com/
TxtEdMacs

Aug 09, 2008
11:55 AM EDT
gus3,

You really use that stuff? Guess you got problems ... but that woman in the ad was nice to look at, thanks.

If there is anything I can do to help you through your troubles, just write.

Txt.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!