"No one showed up to man the Debian booth"

Story: LWCE 2008 Day Two - Report from inside the .org PavilionTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 08, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
Sheesh ...

There are ways to do a booth, and ways NOT to do a booth. I've heard plenty of talk about how mobbed Ubuntu's booth was at LinuxWorld.

Not showing up is pretty bad. I know DebConf is going on somewhere, but not everybody and their mother is jetting off to wherever that is.

I remember back to Scale 6x. Debian had a booth. It had a couple guys in it ... but they weren't really doing much of anything, as I recall. Just sitting in the booth working on their computers.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2008
3:01 PM EDT
That is what I remember too Steven, a couple of people not very interested in being there.

Sander_Marechal

Aug 08, 2008
3:02 PM EDT
Same experience at FOSDEM. Nice people at the Debian booth, but not very actively attracting the crowd. The KDE booth was much better at that. Disclaimer: The KDE booth did have a much more prominent location than the Debian booth at FOSDEM. And the Debian developer room was packed to the brim with folk, while the KDE room was not.
lcafiero

Aug 09, 2008
7:31 AM EDT
I staffed the Fedora booth Tuesday and Wednesday across the aisle (in fact, if you were to expand the frame of Scott's photo rightward, we were next to Creative Commons), and I found that Debian's presence, or lack thereof, somewhat interesting in a disturbing way (not as interesting, in a guerilla sort of way, as PC-BSD's squatting in the space, but I digress). Steven is right -- not everyone is in Argentina (or wherever it is) at this conference, and why Debian couldn't rustle up some folks to staff the booth is a mystery (or why the Bay Area LUG folks directly across from the booth, those who live and breathe Debian at least, couldn't have picked up the ball).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!