who uses this stuff?

Story: Easy Ruby development, the Eclipse wayTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2008
11:20 PM EDT
Over at brand X I get bombarded with Eclipse, WebSphere, AJAX, DOM, Django, servlets and cr@plets, RESTful Web services, Rational, Db2, Springs, XLS2, ten million different XML parsers, and all kinds of crazy stuff from Developerworks. And I'll be hornswoggled if any of it has anything to do with Linux. What is it and why should I care? Does any of it pertain to a linux/FOSS audience?
phsolide

Aug 14, 2008
11:44 PM EDT
Eclipse, WebSphere and Java servlets are all very, very big in bespoke Corporate Software, which tends toward badly cut-n-pasted Java.

I'd say most of it does not pertain, with maybe the exception of the Eclipse thing. Can't stand IDEs myself (they provide everything, everything universally crappy) but a lot of all-Java weenies can't write a line of code without an IDE.

Of course, IDEs (especially Visual Studio) rot your mind: http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind...

An MSFT God-like Being Said So, It Must Be True.
penguinist

Aug 15, 2008
12:09 AM EDT
ummm... pardon me, but Ruby happens to be my favorite language, and the last time I looked it was open source licensed. Also, Eclipse is an outstanding open source IDE, one which I've found helpful when the projects get very large. (I also keep my trusty vi around for the small to medium sized projects.)

I for one enjoyed reading this article, thank you LXer for posting it.

To get a hands-on feel for Ruby in a Linux environment, try this:
> yum install ruby\*
> irb
Sander_Marechal

Aug 15, 2008
1:33 AM EDT
Quoting:And I'll be hornswoggled if any of it has anything to do with Linux. What is it and why should I care? Does any of it pertain to a linux/FOSS audience?

Yes. It's FOSS software. IBM/DeveloperWors sometimes have articles that are not related to Linux or FOSS but I tend to hit the "delete" button on those (e.g AIX articles).
tracyanne

Aug 15, 2008
3:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Of course, IDEs (especially Visual Studio) rot your mind:

Oh thank you.
phsolide

Aug 15, 2008
10:30 AM EDT
Let me clarify... actually, let me totally restate. I wrote the truth up there, but what I wrote doesn't cover it all.

IBM's developerWorks seems to target the usual gang of idiots at Large Corporations that write "Enterprise" software. So a lot of it seems irrelevant.

But don't write off developerWorks entirely: they have an unusually high proportion of decent articles. I print out and read about 1 in 20, I'd say, which by my standards is pretty darn good. developerWorks started me off down the road to Python, and I've found a lot of their other Linux-related stuff very interesting.

I personally regard the use of IDEs as a problem, as it lets your lazier "Enterprise" software developer off the hook of doing anything other than learning how to do 5 or 6 little tasks, and the software they write shows it.

So, you should keep an eye on the developerWorks stuff, but you can safely regard most of it as chaff, aimed at "Enterprise" software folks.
number6x

Aug 15, 2008
12:09 PM EDT
There are a lot of so-called developers out there that cannot get through a day without an 'enterprise' IDE to hold there hand. They curl up in a fetal position and start sucking their thumbs at the thought of a plain old text editor.

The Ruby community has shunned the complex IDE for years preferring simple but powerfull text editors like vi, emacs or especially TextMate. Recently there has been a large influx of J2EE and .NET programmers to the Ruby community because of the growth of Ruby on Rails. Many of these developers are lost without their uber-complex IDE's. Netbeans, makers of complex IDE's 'feel their pain' and are racing to help make simple coding tasks complex and obscure.

I've been using gedit and scribes for my ruby work. the people with Macs use TextMate (great editor see here:http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov). Windows is pretty mixed but scite seems popular.
techiem2

Aug 15, 2008
1:25 PM EDT
hehe. My development environment (html/php) consists of a terminal and mc. :)
jdixon

Aug 15, 2008
6:33 PM EDT
> To get a hands-on feel for Ruby in a Linux environment, try this:

>> yum install ruby*

yum: command not found. :)

You might want to consider that not every distribution uses yum.
azerthoth

Aug 15, 2008
7:16 PM EDT
equo search ruby ... found: 133 entries

and atleast 5 different licenses that I saw.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!