FUD Alert

Story: Why Netbooks are a bad intro to linuxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
moopst

Aug 27, 2008
11:25 PM EDT
Quoting:Yes there are some issues with Windows, because it needs to support everything out there, but that just shows the quality of the programmers. Its a very stable OS.

Kind of lost credibility there.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 28, 2008
3:20 AM EDT
only "kind of"? :-)
DiBosco

Aug 28, 2008
4:13 AM EDT
What a complete load of bollocks. I took my Aspire One into work and everyone absolutely loved it. I think around three colleagues went straight out and bought it. Loved it because it was so damn simple to use and couldn't give a stuff about the look on the desktop. Booted quick, was intuitive and simple to get on line. In fact the women loved it because they though it was cute.

I note there's no facility to comment on the article on its page and tell him he's talking cobblers.
jacog

Aug 28, 2008
4:14 AM EDT
I must say though, the default Xandros that originally came with our Eee fits his description of a bad intro to Linux pretty well.
henke54

Aug 28, 2008
8:22 AM EDT
talking about FUD alert , isn't this one ? : http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#ssh_key_based_atta...

here is a article from sjvn of it : http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_security_idiots
jdixon

Aug 28, 2008
11:02 AM EDT
> I must say though, the default Xandros that originally came with our Eee fits his description of a bad intro to Linux pretty well.

Yes, it does. But then it isn't intended to be a Linux distribution machine. It's intended to be an appliance, where the user never touches the OS as such. At that, it's not too bad.
jdixon

Aug 28, 2008
11:06 AM EDT
> Its a very stable OS.

Well, it depends on what you compare them to, doesn't it? In comparison to Windows 95/98/ME, the current versions of Windows are extremely stable. In comparison to Linux on the other hand...
tuxchick

Aug 28, 2008
11:13 AM EDT
Oh, of course jdixon! I was thinking 'stable' like what you muck out.
jdixon

Aug 28, 2008
11:17 AM EDT
> I was thinking 'stable' like what you muck out.

Well, I'd say Windows qualifies there too. :)
cybergal

Aug 28, 2008
3:08 PM EDT
Di Bosco: Perhaps you might be able to answer a question I have been asking on a few forums without a conclusive yes or no answer or a way of checking it on the laptop itself. As linpus lite is based on Fedora 8, which includes MONO, did linpus lite also include MONO in this distro? My preference is not to have MONO on my computers and I am aware that it can be removed. Acer seems to have locked up the AA1 fairly tightly, presumably to prevent or discourage tinkering, to no avail according to posts at http://AspireOneUser.com and I wonder if removing MONO [if it is there] will cause the OS to not work. Further clouding the issue, some posters there have had problems adding apps that require MONO which could just mean that those libraries were not included with the OS . TIA
rijelkentaurus

Aug 28, 2008
6:36 PM EDT
Quoting: the current versions of Windows are extremely stable.

With the exceptions of Vista, XP and Win2000, of course.
DiBosco

Aug 28, 2008
7:40 PM EDT
Cybergal, having just gone and looked in the repository, there are loads of entries for Mono, all of which are *not* ticked, so I would assume that Mono is not installed.

I guess the people trying to add Mono based apps haven't installed Mono then?

I have only tried to add jpilot and (I think mplayer) to it and the repository worked a treat for me.
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
9:07 PM EDT
Quoting:I guess the people trying to add Mono based apps haven't installed Mono then?

If they are installing the Mono based apps via the package manager, and the package manager is working properly, the package manager should offer to install Mono, as it's a dependency. In my experience, urpmi (Mandriva Linux) will offer to install the dependencies even when you double click on the rpm in the filesystem.
cybergal

Aug 28, 2008
10:50 PM EDT
Thanks, Di Bosco. I think I'll go out this weekend and purchase one. Although I don't exactly need another laptop, these are worth it just for the "cute factor" alone!

tracyanne: The AA1 user forum already has over 3500 members, most of them new to Linux who probably wouldn't expect to have to install MONO, or anything else, for that matter. It is reminiscent of the "good old days" on the newbie Linux forums when people thought Linux was too hard because it wasn't like Windows and they had to use the dreaded CLI. A lot of questions haven't been answered, many are guessed at, but a lot of helpful answers are given as well. The enthusiasm level is very high there. It appears that the forums are swamped with more questions than the few resident gurus have time to answer. Also, some questions are geared for XP, so you have to make sure which OS is being referred to.
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
11:55 PM EDT
@ cybergal, in that case, since you are going to get one of these machines, I suggest you find out how dependencies are handled by the package manager, and become the guru on installing Mono based, and indeed any other apps that require additional dependencies.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 29, 2008
1:54 AM EDT
Linpus is based on Fedora and uses RPM. It's package manager is Synaptic. So, it should handle dependencies automagically. I'm guessing that the people who complained about missing Mono are people who tried to install software by manually downloading and installing it, and not by using the package manager.
jacog

Aug 29, 2008
4:40 AM EDT
jdixon: "Yes, it does. But then it isn't intended to be a Linux distribution machine. It's intended to be an appliance, where the user never touches the OS as such. At that, it's not too bad."

A valid-ish point, but imagine this: A potential customer walks into a store, spots a Eee and goes "Skweeeee, cute!" and asks a salesperson about it. The salesperson offers the potential customer two options, the Xandros version with it's "appliance" type interface, or the XP version, which resembles a proper fully functional operating system. Unless the sales person actively pushes the former, I am going to shoot an arrow at the wumpus in the western coirridor here and guess that the customer will likely pick the XP version.

Unless the Linux interface offers a lot of "oooh, aaah" over the XP one, I doubt people would deliberately choose it - generally speaking, of course.
DiBosco

Aug 29, 2008
5:01 AM EDT
Quoting: In my experience, urpmi (Mandriva Linux) will offer to install the dependencies even when you double click on the rpm in the filesystem.

Yes, you're quite right, it was very late when I posted and I was rushing to post before going to bed, so not thinking it through!

I haven't tried installing an rpm for ages (I have always used Mandrake/Mandriva as well). I remember getting into dependency hell many times with 10.0 and previous versions; makes you realise what a great job has been done these days with package managers and repositories.

Quoting: Unless the Linux interface offers a lot of "oooh, aaah" over the XP one, I doubt people would deliberately choose it - generally speaking, of course.

Unless the XP was was considerably more expensive maybe? Which I think is the case with the Aspire, not sure about with the eeePC though.

Your point is, sadly, generally right though. Assistants' ignorance in places like PC World is quite scary.
jdixon

Aug 29, 2008
6:31 AM EDT
> Unless the Linux interface offers a lot of "oooh, aaah" over the XP one, I doubt people would deliberately choose it - generally speaking, of course.

Never having seen the XP interface on the EEE, I can't say how it looks. I've also never been much good a guessing what people will like, so I couldn't say what they would choose. It probably depends on whether they're looking for a full computer or not. If they want a full computer, they're probably going to be disappointed in the EEE anyway.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!