MySQL and OpenOffice

Story: Simply Mepis and My OfficeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 04, 2008
11:59 AM EDT
I never thought of using these two together. OO does have a database component, which might play better, but hooking it up with MySQL sounds like a good idea.
Pastor_Ron

Oct 04, 2008
2:46 PM EDT
The reason I chose MySQL for use in Linux is because it was just a carry over from that other OS. My tables are set up already, and the queries were easy. Bottom line: it just works very well for my situation.
techiem2

Oct 04, 2008
3:24 PM EDT
I did the OOo/MYSQL thing myself a while back. It's quite nice. I put together a little dvd collection database so I could play with reading it through PHP. It's really nice being able to fire up OOo and connect it to the MySQL db to change/update things.
DiBosco

Oct 05, 2008
4:45 PM EDT
I had a play with the OO database program and found it dire and incredibly slow. I ended up using an app called knoda hooked up with mysql after trying the koffice database program as well. knoda is not without its issues, but is a million times better than OO Base. I really like the Python scripting options with knoda and found Python a real pleasure to learn and use.

I wonder whether it depends what you're trying to implement. I wanted to set-up a database with electronic components, where to buy them, stock levels, order codes, which boards each component is used on etc. Maybe OO base is fine for really simple databases,

My set-up with knoda would not take much growth and I do feel Linux is lacking really decent database programs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!