mmk...

Story: 5 Things I Wish Linux HadTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
techiem2

Oct 04, 2008
5:21 PM EDT
1. Ok, that's interesting. 2. Um...do you REALLY want icons for every possible application preinstalled? Isn't apps on demand the whole point of package managers? 3. um....um... 4. Fluxbox, XFCE, Windowmaker, *box, ....... 5. That's all kernel/udev/window manager interaction. I have my desktop setup to pop up a message box when udev automounts a disk. My laptop (xfce) shows the icons on the desktop when one plugs in. dmesg usually works for me to see if what I've plugged in was seen. hehe. I see his point on this though.
gus3

Oct 04, 2008
5:33 PM EDT
This editorial was a waste of electrons.
jdixon

Oct 04, 2008
10:13 PM EDT
OK. Let's see.

3. Doesn't everyone know about Crossover by now? http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

4. He obviously has a very limited Idea of what's already available. Tchiem2's list just scratches the surface.

5. Huh? Slackware's automounted removable media since at least 12.0. And it's not known as a "user friendly" distro. Most of the recent distro's I've tried do exactly what he wants. He says he's using CentOS, which is a RHEL clone, so maybe it doesn't?
tracyanne

Oct 05, 2008
9:36 AM EDT
I was wondering what pre 2000 distro he's using
Bob_Robertson

Oct 05, 2008
7:32 PM EDT
" what pre 2000 distro..."

The problem being that #3 (if I remember correctly), the "windows look" was far, far less prevalent at that time than now.

Don't forget OLWM, TWM, WindowLab... Sheesh, it's like he's never actually looked under the hood.
gus3

Oct 05, 2008
10:21 PM EDT
The "Windows look" was primitive, utilitarian, and (for me, at least) very un-aesthetic. Macintosh thought they were upping the ante with OS X, but all 3 of Enlightenment, GNOME, and KDE were years ahead on having truly pleasant look-and-feel options, even in 2000.

(Not to slight FVWM and various other WM's out there...)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!