anyone have MS Word 2003?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 12, 2008
11:42 PM EDT
I have a file exported from OOo 2.3 to Word 97/2000/XP doc format. MS Word 2003 should also be able to read this, but I don't have a copy of Word 2003 to test it. I would appreciate very much anyone who does have a copy of Word 2003 testing this file. Please email me-- carla at bratgrrl dot com- and I'll send it to you.

The problem is my awesome SO has to use this (expletive deleted) Web-based eCollege system for turning in homework for college courses, and it's not recognizing her files. She's been able to use OOo for several terms now with no problem. Now there is a problem. Of course we'll be calling the school's support persons; meanwhile it would be helpful to know if Word 2003 can open this file.

Inside I am ranting about corrupt pawns of a corrupt evil monopolist, but one step at a time... ;)

thanks!
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2008
2:22 AM EDT
Carla read your private mail
tuxchick

Oct 13, 2008
10:01 AM EDT
sent, thanks TA!
ColonelPanik

Oct 13, 2008
1:33 PM EDT
I have a word for MS 2003.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 13, 2008
1:40 PM EDT
Quoting:I have a word for MS 2003.

Me too, but they're all ToS violations :-)
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 13, 2008
4:46 PM EDT
You'd think any Web-based solution like that would read any darn .doc file, no matter the age/format, and would deal with the older iterations better than the newer ones ...

At the bare minimum, they should support rich text format.
tuxchick

Oct 13, 2008
4:53 PM EDT
Nup, no RTF either. We tried RTF, .doc, and .xml. Word 2003 read 'em all just fine, but the dommed Web viewer doesn't. Just a blank page. Stoopid. Even stoopider, the school's tech guy has no backup and he's all freaked because he has a family emergency, and everyone's crabbing at him about stuff. After all these years of education Presidents and no child left with a behind, we sure are in good shape. Don't make me use sarcasm tags.
rijelkentaurus

Oct 13, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
If you rename a text file .doc, it should open just fine in Word.
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2008
8:18 PM EDT
Carla it opens just fine in MS Word 2003 on my work computer.
tuxchick

Oct 14, 2008
12:29 AM EDT
Thanks TA. There are two different interfaces we're looking at- the horrid eCollege Web document viewer, and MS Word itself. The files open fine in Word, but the Web doc viewer gags on them. Stupid #$#@!!

It's helpful to know that Word has no problem with the OO files, they can't claim it's the fault of using some darned hippie software.
NoDough

Oct 14, 2008
11:01 AM EDT
Any idea what web document viewer they are using?
hkwint

Oct 19, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
OK, so now that problem seems out of the way: The rant about the pawns can start I assume?
tracyanne

Oct 19, 2008
4:58 PM EDT
Prawns! I love prawns in garlic butter.
gus3

Oct 19, 2008
10:53 PM EDT
Pr0n? I thought that wasn't allowed here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!