I have yet to upgrade to MDV 2009.0

Story: The Perfect Desktop - Mandriva One 2009.0 With GNOMETotal Replies: 24
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 15, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
The automated upgrade failed miserably for all but one of my people who tried it, and when I tried it, it also failed, leaving me without a computer, until I reinstalled 20081. Thanks to Gnu/Linux no one lost any personal files (unlike similar massive failures on another operating system), and it was a relatively trivial matter to simply reinstall the older version. It took me about 2 hours each, to get the machines back to where they were before the failure.

I'm currently downloading an iso image, it's a slow process, I have to keep restarting wget, as after an hour or 2 the download sort of stops, and wget has to be restarted with --continue to move the download along.

I've told my people red update icon good, blue update icon bad, don't touch, that will keep them safe, if the Mandriva techies are stupid enough to re enable the "service", until I can update them from a disk.
techiem2

Oct 15, 2008
5:34 PM EDT
I grabbed the 2009 kde iso torrent from linuxtracker the other day and have it running on my test machine now (Duron 950 512MB) Not bad.

I'm thinking of switching my Mom's comp over to Mandriva from SAM now that I got her up to 512MB RAM (PIII-1G 512MB).

zenarcher

Oct 15, 2008
6:30 PM EDT
I was an early seeder, so got Mandriva 2009 a couple of days early. I installed the 64 bit Free (KDE) on my test box and most everything works well. Well enough that I did the same install on my main computer. Likewise, I installed the 32 bit version on my HP notebook and all is working fine, including the wireless. I still have one more system to upgrade, but really am quite happy.

I'm using KDE and Compiz-Fusion and do note that it's pretty RAM intensive. Fortunately, I run 4GB of system RAM and Nvidia PCI-e video cards with 256M of RAM. The notebook isn't so RAM endowed, uses onboard ATI video and I'm not running Compiz-Fusion there.

Anyways, I'm more than happy...and just still learning about KDE4.
tracyanne

Oct 15, 2008
7:18 PM EDT
Bit Torrent simply didn't work for me, mostly it sat here spinning it's wheels.
techiem2

Oct 15, 2008
7:20 PM EDT
Funny. It buzzed right in for me using the torrent from linuxtracker. *shrug*

Mom's comp is in the process of installing.
zenarcher

Oct 15, 2008
7:22 PM EDT
It took about 4 hours, as I recall, using torrent, to get the Free DVD here.
tracyanne

Oct 15, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
After 12 hours I had about 10%
techiem2

Oct 15, 2008
7:35 PM EDT
Ouch
tracyanne

Oct 15, 2008
9:23 PM EDT
Ouch indeed. I normally get between 750 and 820 KB(ytes) per second download on my ADSL2 connection, and did so for some other files I downloaded at the time.
billbar

Oct 16, 2008
12:04 AM EDT
I upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 without a hitch in the process, but...... Cannot get around printer configuration problems--- Was even willing to buy PowerPack, but the Mandriva Store loops in entering a billing address; Lovely screen, but another new distro that I'm tossing on the trash heap. Have been shooting for a satisfactory distro for a almost a year - getting somewhat irritable about this.
jezuch

Oct 16, 2008
1:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Ouch indeed. I normally get between 750 and 820 KB(ytes) per second download on my ADSL2 connection, and did so for some other files I downloaded at the time.

Are you sure your ISP didn't learn some tricks from their counterparts from one North American country?
gus3

Oct 16, 2008
2:59 AM EDT
@tracyanne:

Actually, I'm wondering if the Torrent client is so busy sharing the data it has (output) that it's interfering with ACK packets to its own senders (input acknowledgment).

Have you tried setting it into Leech Mode or some equivalent?
tracyanne

Oct 16, 2008
4:13 AM EDT
Quoting:Have you tried setting it into Leech Mode or some equivalent?

No, but it has certainly been sharing what it has managed to download. I've just about got the full Powerpack version down using wget with --continue, it's at 97% (finally) as we speak, so I should be right.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
8:48 AM EDT
I'm really angry. I finally got my copy of Mandriva Powerpack 2009.0, and installed it on a virtual machine to test it. Install went fine, everything is working really well.

I fire up Firefox, and there this damn (and really mean something way stronger starts with F ends in King) Google tool bar, that i can't get rid of. I wasn't asked if I wanted it. I simply got it rammed down my throat by some arrogant I son of female canine. I am son urinate off by what Mandriva have done.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
8:57 AM EDT
Right now I am so angry that the arrogant anuses did this, that I'm seriously considering dumping Mandriva.
jacog

Oct 17, 2008
11:19 AM EDT
It's not just an add-on you can disable or remove?? Bizarre.
ColonelPanik

Oct 17, 2008
1:52 PM EDT
Linux, breaking hearts for 17 years.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
6:01 PM EDT
Quoting:It's not just an add-on you can disable or remove?? Bizarre.

You can, but you have to be root to do it. It's installed into /usr/lib/Firefox-3.x. I've removed it, but I know that it will be back with the next update of FF. That's what really really urinates me off.
techiem2

Oct 17, 2008
6:03 PM EDT
Google toolbar? That's not on the Mandriva One KDE install. The only Google sign I see is the option to use it as a search engine in the search bar (and interestingly enough, it's defaulting to Ask, not Google). Did Google help fund the PWP or something?
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
6:05 PM EDT
Quoting:Did Google help fund the PWP or something?

Interesting, and PWP is the one you pay for.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
6:39 PM EDT
I was so angry last night when I discovered this that I wrote a very rude series of posts, full of barely disguised expletives, to the Mandriva Community Forum. I was removed sometime overnight.

I've calmed down enough to be more careful in my choice of words, but I am still unbeleivably angry about this.
tracyanne

Oct 26, 2008
10:23 PM EDT
Has anyone else had problems turning off those stupid annoying system sounds, the ones that go click, ping, whoop, crash etc when you do things.

I can't seem to get rid of them. turning off system sounds in kcontrol doesn't seem to work.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 27, 2008
8:43 AM EDT
On Gnome System > Sound > Sound Preferences > [tab] System Sounds

Individual selections where most of mine were preset to "No sound".

I suspect KDE has similar settings somewhere. When all else fails try a few Google searches. Here is one I found using "System preferences sound KDE":

[url=http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Hackers evolution sound system?content=87038]http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Hackers evolution s...[/url]

but you have to install an extra program.

Sorry not a KDE user, however, searches helped me when I have run into inexplicable code error messages.

[No humor tags present]
Sander_Marechal

Oct 27, 2008
11:05 AM EDT
I always blacklist the driver for the PC speaker. That takes care of the most annoying beeps for me :-) I really can't be arsed to disable system beeps (those loud ones that go over the PC speaker) in every application, desktop environment and terminal that uses them.
tracyanne

Oct 27, 2008
5:45 PM EDT
I've managed to fix the problem. Initially I renamed the /usr/share/sounds directory, that put a stop to all sounds. I then gat a reply on the Mandriva Forums to do the following,

urpme sound-theme-freedesktop

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!