"Darned" Small Linux

Story: Installing Darned Small Linux Onto Your Boot DriveTotal Replies: 27
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 16, 2008
1:32 PM EDT
The writer just isn't comfortable saying Damn Small Linux.

I wonder how he feels about the inet daemon ...
herzeleid

Oct 16, 2008
2:50 PM EDT
In other news, a fork called "dang small linux" has been announced on the usual irc channels.
tuxchick

Oct 16, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
and for rural geeks, the Dagnabit Edition
tracyanne

Oct 16, 2008
4:40 PM EDT
For us Australians there's 'Bl00dy Small Linux Mate'
eggi

Oct 16, 2008
8:54 PM EDT
No problem with DSL, I'm just very sensitive to the word. I was raised by damned dirty apes ;)

Damned in the first paragraph twice, too :)

What "is" the policy on swearing on this board? :P

, Mike ...Damned straight to Hell
tracyanne

Oct 16, 2008
9:29 PM EDT
You aren't allowed to say Funk and Wagnell, if that's what you mean
tuxchick

Oct 16, 2008
9:50 PM EDT
eggi, you have sealed your doom, and Big Mean Editor Scott is going to stand you in the corner.
tracyanne

Oct 16, 2008
9:55 PM EDT
with a placard that reads "I'm damned if a I do, damned if i don't, damned if I care."
tuxchick

Oct 16, 2008
10:24 PM EDT
BTW Mr eggi, my cats confiscated your skinning knives and are after you as well.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 16, 2008
11:49 PM EDT
Ok, so about the swearing...

Damn Small Linux is just fine, the straight to hell and most (if not all) of the negative implementations of such language thereof are not..ok.

edit: I will say that I believe that our readers and forum posters have vocabularies that enable them to avoid such entanglements if they wish..

gus3

Oct 17, 2008
12:00 AM EDT
To Scott:

You use big words. Please stop.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 17, 2008
1:20 AM EDT
Oh and it was the succulent joy of spelling them correctly, as I typed them, that is still sweeter than your cries of deterrence my fair man...

hee hee..
Bob_Robertson

Oct 17, 2008
8:54 AM EDT
Have you ever heard George Carlin's routine, "Seven Words You Can't Say On Television"?

It was Col. Jeff Cooper I first read who said, "Profanity is an indication of insufficient vocabulary."

And then there's Bill Cosby's take on the situation, "But dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
9:01 AM EDT
Quoting:It was Col. Jeff Cooper I first read who said, "Profanity is an indication of insufficient vocabulary."

He was, and is wrong.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 17, 2008
10:47 AM EDT
> He was, and is wrong.

Was. Dead, last year.

I disagree with you, in that I see the mindless repetition of "fark this, fark that, farking up a tree..." as simple carelessness. A disregard for language.

Email may be helping, because endless streams of "fark fark fark", "you know you know you know" is very apparent in writing while mindlessness disguises it in speaking.

One gentleman I worked with said "you know" (worse, "yeno" without even the pretense of having it be two words) one hundred thirty two times in a single half-hour meeting. No one noticed, I assume, the hash marks on my meeting minutes, one for each time he uttered the syllables.

Profanity, vulgarity I guess would be a better term since we're not referring to only religious phrases, has its uses. To paraphrase George C. Scott paraphrasing George S. Patton, "When I want them remember it I give it to them loud and dirty."

However, I will assert from own experience that mindless vulgarity is a demonstration of personal carelessness, someone not paying any attention to what is coming out of their mouth. Such a person generally also doesn't pay any attention to anything else, either.
jezuch

Oct 17, 2008
4:09 PM EDT
On the other hand, there's creative use of expletives. I once wrote a poem like that. But I'll admit I ain't good at it ;)
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
6:10 PM EDT
Quoting:I will assert from own experience that mindless vulgarity...

That is a different position to

"Profanity is an indication of insufficient vocabulary."

and it's a position I agree with.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 17, 2008
9:32 PM EDT
Quoting:Profanity is an indication of insufficient vocabulary.

Definitely not true. I just happened to catch an old episode of "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" on Humor TV. It was a sketch with Stephen Fry launching in a fantastic, creative flood of vulgarity and profanity against his grandma. It was brilliant.

Outing four letter words is easy, but good, creative and witty insults can be an art form in their own right.
eggi

Oct 17, 2008
9:34 PM EDT
I agree, a little bit, with everyone's point of view, because you all make important points (even if you don't mean to ;) and I've been diagnosed as a chronic people-pleaser.

My take on profanity, in all seriousness, is this: It exists for a purpose. If used indelicately, and as more of a mannerism, it loses the "punch" it was intended to pack. Even so, people, in certain situations or in certain professions, can make it work. When that happens, however, there's always something more substantive behind the vulgarity.

Lenny Bruce went out of his way to introduce profanity in comedy to make a point about social and moral censorship. Andrew Dice Clay assumed a persona for his stand-up routine that could make you numb to any sort of horrendous chain-of-obscenities imaginable. He did it so well, certain members of SNL refused to tape the show when he guest-hosted. Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Carlin (R.I.P. God bless him, he was one of my favorites) all made use of profanity in their routines.

All of these folks had one thing in common (although we may agree to disagree about some of them): They were funny. Swearing for swearing's sake isn't humorous, entertaining or even interesting.

Tuxchick - I own four cats. I reserve the right to fantasize about skinning them ;)

I disagree whole-heartedly with the statement that the use of profanity is in any way indicative of a lack of sufficient vocabulary. Some folks just swear a lot. In between the flowery prose ;)

And, like Bob Robertson, I find the "like"s and "Y'know"s much more irritating than profane language. It runs a close second to listening to the guy on the other side of my cubicle who slurps his coffee from 9 to 5 and may or may not be achieving orgasm simultaneously (he "really" loves his coffee).

But, I do agree, that, if you want profanity to really impress, you should save it for when it's required.

When a monk breaks his vow of silence to tell you go fark yourself, it's a lot more impressive than when the guy at the newspaper stand asks if you're going to pay for the farking paper, like he does to everyone who so much as browses a headline.

My extra 2 cents... Great comments :)

, Mike
InTheLoop

Oct 17, 2008
10:37 PM EDT
This has got to be the funniest thread I have ever seen on LXer (or any Linux site for that matter).

"One gentleman I worked with said "you know" (worse, "yeno" without even the pretense of having it be two words) one hundred thirty two times in a single half-hour meeting. No one noticed, I assume, the hash marks on my meeting minutes, one for each time he uttered the syllables."

"and for rural geeks, the Dagnabit Edition"

Wow.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 18, 2008
3:31 AM EDT
By the way, I just found the script of that Stephen Fry sketch I mentioned above.

http://www.geocities.com/mmemym/bits4/fal0203.htm
Bob_Robertson

Oct 19, 2008
11:17 AM EDT
> George Carlin (R.I.P. God bless him, he was one of my favorites)

Carlin, beyond being a linguistic genius, was also an atheist.
vainrveenr

Oct 19, 2008
1:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Ok, so about the swearing...

Damn Small Linux is just fine, the straight to hell and most (if not all) of the negative implementations of such language thereof are not..ok.

edit: I will say that I believe that our readers and forum posters have vocabularies that enable them to avoid such entanglements if they wish..

Other negative 'D's on the big word vocabulary besides Damn, Damned and Dagnabit could be Debased, Debauched, Degenerate, Degraded, or Dissolute.

Somehow, though, none of these other 'D''s reach the emotional intensity of how small DSL really is other than 'Damn'...... and D-A-M-N, it's really that small !! :D

gus3

Oct 19, 2008
2:02 PM EDT
What about on the other end?

Divine Delightful Dashing Dapper (no, wait, that's taken)
hkwint

Oct 19, 2008
4:08 PM EDT
Divine Small Linux... Sounds good.

Quoting:You aren't allowed to say Funk and Wagnell, if that's what you mean

You're confusing Wagnell with WagEdd I assume?

Anyway, it's sad you can't say "Reproducing activity" in one word on forums, because where would the world be without that reproducing activity? And about Damn... It used to be 'doomed to hell for its sins'. But I don't think that's what the makers of DSL are hoping for their distro.
azerthoth

Oct 19, 2008
4:30 PM EDT
fornicate
hkwint

Oct 19, 2008
4:42 PM EDT
azertoth: WP says that only goes for unmarried persons. I'm not married, so WORKSFORME, but probably not for everybody.
eggi

Oct 19, 2008
10:24 PM EDT
Bob,

Yes, Old George was an atheist. One of his funniest "tv bits" I ever saw was on MadTV, when they did a parody of "Touched by an angel" (Anyone remember that show? If not; I envy you ;) called "Touched by an atheist." Really hilarious stuff. If the link's allowed, you can find it here (or just look it up on youtube if it gets pulled):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_7e8qgTnQ

My "God Bless Him" was not intended to contradict his spiritual beliefs or posthumously impose mine on him; just a heartfelt goodbye. I think the world (or, at least, the world of comedy, theater and literature) lost a great and important voice when he passed away.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled light-hearted discussion of DSL. I got a comment that it's also referred to as "Demi Sized Linux."

Neither derogatory nor profane. Seems like a fair translation :)

, Mike

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!