Weird Question...hehe

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
techiem2

Oct 25, 2008
10:21 PM EDT
Ok, so I'm taking an accounting class (*cries*) and I have to do an assignment during the class by analyzing the SEC 10k report from a public company that begins with the first letter of my last name (M). So anyone know any Linux companies (preferred, secondarily would be a tech company) that start with M that I could use? (Yes, I know MS is the quick and easy answer, but I'd like to do an actual Linux company if possible).

:)

Thanks as usual guys/gals/bots!
gus3

Oct 25, 2008
10:31 PM EDT
Mandriva?
techiem2

Oct 25, 2008
10:34 PM EDT
I looked and they're not in the SEC db. Apparently they don't have to file with the SEC (after all, they're not a US company). :(
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2008
2:02 AM EDT
MySQL AB?

You could also do Microsoft and point out all the irregularities you find :-) Like how they keep propping up the numbers on their cash bleeding departments by folding them into the more profitable departments.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 26, 2008
8:44 AM EDT
There is a Mozilla org and com, the latter is a for profit organization. However, it may be a private holding, hence, not needing any formal filings with the SEC.

MySQL was European based and might not be listed for the SEC. Moreover, it has (or will be soon) folded into Sun.

[No intentional humor present.]
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
Well, in all seriousness, how many companies that have public IPO's are there? If you can find a list online, just grab the one's starting with M and read through them. It can't take more than an hour or so, right?
techiem2

Oct 26, 2008
2:40 PM EDT
Um... See for yourself Sander. :) http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&co...

I finally found the form that lets me search for 10-ks. So I'm browsing lists there now.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2008
7:20 PM EDT
techiem2: Slighly over 12,000 companies. But are all those just registered with the SEC or are they all required to file with them as well?
techiem2

Oct 26, 2008
7:34 PM EDT
It appears the main list is everyone that is registered.

I'm working through the list of actual 10k companies by category to find something interesting.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!