Another stupid user question

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Nov 06, 2008
10:00 PM EDT
Are all Ethernet cards about the same? The 10/100 kind? If not, which cards would be best for Linux systems?

Thanks once again. /°_°
techiem2

Nov 06, 2008
10:24 PM EDT
Quoting:If not, which cards would be best for Linux systems?

Ones that are supported by the kernel...:P (are there any 10/100 chipsets that aren't supported well/at all in the kernel?)

jdixon

Nov 07, 2008
12:07 AM EDT
> Are all Ethernet cards about the same? The 10/100 kind?

No. Some are better than others. I'm sure you can find tests of the various cards on the web if you look. However, any of them are probably adequate for home use, as any of them should be able to keep up with a Cable or DSL line. Unless you're doing large file transfers on your home LAN, pretty much any network card should meet your needs, even an old 10 Mb one.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2008
3:11 AM EDT
Quoting:are there any 10/100 chipsets that aren't supported well/at all in the kernel?

None that I can think of, but there are a couple of 10/100/1000 cards that are not supported by older kernels still found in stable releases (such as 2.6.18 in Debian Etch).
hkwint

Nov 09, 2008
2:53 PM EDT
10/100Mb cards? Gee, in which evil millenium do yo' people live? Today the cards the Linux kernel (also) supports are 1-10 Gb/s. Not that you need it probably, but it's sure nice to show off.

I also have some bad experiences with the 'newest' integrated NIC's not working with Linux; Linux always needs a short period to catch up it seems.

I'd say the best cards for Linux are the cheapest ones. Back when my mobo-integrated NIC was 'so new' Linux didn't support it, I received a cheap leftover-card from a friend and I was back online again. Anything with a RealTek-chip will work +95% sure.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!