Tax payers get screwed or worse.

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Nov 12, 2008
4:15 PM EDT
The University here (ENMU) just auctioned off a huge bunch of 2002 era computers. These computers were scrapped because they would not run the newest os from the Pirates of Redmond. Would not run it at all.

Ok, here are the specs: Pentium 4 1.8MHz 512 Megs RAM

Here is a real world test: Fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10

I ran a huge torrent DL, my ever present streaming radio, Boinc, IRC, surfing like crazy and watching Flash vids. All at the same time. They all worked, just fine.

I bought two fine computers for $70.USD total. Now I can't wait for the next release from Redmond!

bigg

Nov 12, 2008
4:31 PM EDT
Wow, wish I could get in on a deal like that. My current home computer was purchased in 2002 and has 512 MB RAM and is 1.6 GHz. I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 last week (all my other CD's were unfortunately at the office). It's very fast.

The only bad thing about running Linux is that you can't justify buying new hardware unless it stops working. If for some reason I wanted a 3D desktop all I'd have to do is add an appropriate video card. Try that with Vista.
jdixon

Nov 12, 2008
5:16 PM EDT
> Wow, wish I could get in on a deal like that.

Not quite that good, but: http://www.intechraoutlet.com/home/

Dell Optiplex GX270 with 2.4 GHz Pentium 4, 512MB of memory, a 40 GB hard drive, and a CD for $115. No OS included, so you don't have to delete Windows to get started.

They're not the only option, but they're one I've used before.
theboomboomcars

Nov 12, 2008
5:59 PM EDT
bigg check with any colleges/universities in your area. We have a sale 1 or 2 times a year selling old computers usually $10-$100 for p3-p4 class hardware. We even have some dual cores going now.
gus3

Nov 12, 2008
6:38 PM EDT
@CP: You should consider running a distributed computing client, like Folding@Home or BOINC, on your new shineys. You could really rack up some points quickly using both of them.
ColonelPanik

Nov 12, 2008
6:54 PM EDT
BOINC Setiathome has been running for years and years and years 218600.00 units and counting

Just wait until I get my cluster running /°_°
jacog

Nov 13, 2008
8:09 AM EDT
Quoting:Ok, here are the specs: Pentium 4 1.8MHz 512 Megs RAM

1.8 MHz? *chuckle*

techiem2

Nov 13, 2008
9:13 AM EDT
Well that IS what it would feel like running Vista....
ColonelPanik

Nov 13, 2008
11:37 AM EDT
OOPS, well thank God that you all knew what I meant.

How about 1.8GHz? Its those old arthritic digits, with parts missing that cause most of my problems. And my aversion to proof-reading.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 13, 2008
9:06 PM EDT
As a devout anarchist, I find the title rather self-evident.

Heck, my primary desktop machine right now and for the last 5 years has been a 2.8GHz P4 with 512M of Ram.
DiBosco

Nov 14, 2008
8:06 AM EDT
Quoting: Heck, my primary desktop machine right now and for the last 5 years has been a 2.8GHz P4 with 512M of Ram.

Yep, mine is very similar (although I installed a couple of gig of RAM as I run a virtual machine at times). It's not particularly fast RAM (wouldn't be with the mobo being three or four years old) and the machine flies. I do have a core duo with faster RAM as well and that for most day-to-day things is no quicker. (Certain things like video encoding are 15-20% faster on that Core Duo machine.)

Yesterday I had KDevelop, Firefox, Crossworks (embedded software IDE), Thunderbird, Azureus, kcalc, numerous kwrites and a couple of konquerors open and everything still ran quickly. I break out in hives when I have to run Windows on the odd day I go into the office!
Bob_Robertson

Nov 14, 2008
12:38 PM EDT
> although I installed a couple of gig of RAM...

Well, this laptop is limitted to 512.

But the screen is starting to flake-out, and I've decided to give up on laptops for a while, so I priced a white-box 4-core Phenom with 4G RAM for ~$500, reusing various bits that I already have and not including monitor (or OS!).

The screen is the big reason. I've gotten used to this 1400x1050 screen, and with the new "wide" format that all laptops have, getting more than 800 pixels vertical resolution means I leap into the $2K laptop realm. $500 is much more workable, even if I have to pay another $250 for the screen.

ColonelPanik

Nov 14, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
Old eyes?
Bob_Robertson

Nov 14, 2008
3:17 PM EDT
Naa, not old. I broke my Unix teeth, as it were, on HUGE Sun monitors, then had to deal with 1024x768 windows machines for years.

You might say I have good eyes, and so "pixel size" matters. Bigger pixels just make for nastier pictures.

Ah, those Sun monitors, dual heads on top of the line SPARC-10s.... I don't even want to think about how much they cost at the time.
DiBosco

Nov 15, 2008
7:03 AM EDT
Quoting: The screen is the big reason.

Hmmm, screen area is one of the reasons I usually use a desktop rather than laptop at home. I have two 22" widescreen HP monitors what are just brilliant for things like having datasheets open while coding, so you can look from one screen to another rather than minimising windows. Also great when laying out a PCB for similar reasons. Big screens are so cheap these days!

You get 1680 x 1050 on these screens which is also great for coding as you can get long indented lines of code without them wrapping. I do get the same resolution on my 15" laptop, but as you can imagine that is far more of a strain on the eyes!
Bob_Robertson

Nov 17, 2008
9:16 AM EDT
> You get 1680 x 1050 on these screens...

Yep. Never going less than x1050 again if I can possibly help it.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 17, 2008
12:20 PM EDT
If you're a real coding nerd you should get a widescreen1920x1280 monitor. Turn it sideways so you have 1280 wide and 1920 high. Use xrandr to rotate your output accordingly and don't forget to set your display subpixel rendering to horizontal RGB (System -> Preferences -> Apprearence -> Fonts -> Details on GNOME).

If you think it's nice to view a 180 character line without scrolling then you'll be amazed how nice it is to see an 80 line function without scrolling. The only downside is that you really need a HD monitor. Standard widescreen monitors do not have enough vertical resolution (which is to become your horizontal resolution after turning it 90 degrees).
jezuch

Nov 17, 2008
4:15 PM EDT
Quoting:If you're a real coding nerd you should get a widescreen1920x1280 monitor

I got one at work very recently. The thing is, this is a laptop monitor. The pixels are ultra-tiny so I had to increase font sizes everywhere (You'd think that the higher DPI setting in X would handle that? You wish! And Firefox/Icewesel is the biggest culprit here.). The enlarged fonts look amazing at this resolution, but the old way of bitmap icons HURTS. Fortunately KDE4 is promoting all-vector future, and even more so I felt like experimenting and installed it on the lappy ;) [BTW: My team at work has total freedom regarding our software use. When I had to call internal support to set up the network (on their side), they asked me if they needed to send someone to install an OS on my computer, to which I answered "I already installed Debian". There was a not-so-brief silence on the other side and then an "Oh...". It's those small things in life... ;)]
ColonelPanik

Nov 17, 2008
5:32 PM EDT
jezuch, That was a smile for a week.
gus3

Nov 17, 2008
5:53 PM EDT
@jezuch:

The DPI setting in your desktop environment might be overriding the X server's settings.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 17, 2008
7:43 PM EDT
@jezuch: I have the same with my laptop screen, but I like the small fonts (young eyes :-)

But for a monitor that you rotate 90 degrees, you're really looking at a 23" monitor. Anything smaller and the vertical size (horizontal after rotating it) becomes too small.
jezuch

Nov 18, 2008
3:12 AM EDT
Quoting:The DPI setting in your desktop environment might be overriding the X server's settings.

Ah right, I'll have to check this...
gus3

Nov 18, 2008
5:22 AM EDT
My hack for GNOME:

gconftool-2 --type float --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi `xdpyinfo | grep "resolution" | sed 's/x.*//' | awk '{ print $2; }'`

Only needed when you might be logging in either locally or remotely, and have two different X displays with different DPI's. If you use only one system, with one display, then it isn't needed; just get the DPI from "xdpyinfo" and enter it into your Font Properties dialog.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!