Talking the talk...

Story: Microsoft to Google: Get Off of My CloudTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 25, 2008
7:16 AM EDT
I've never experienced a Google outage. I get better search results using Google than Live Search. Google's web-apps focus on the end result. MS still tries to webify their desktop OS and Office Suite.

"Google has done a great job of hyping" its prowess, Chrapaty says. "But we're neck and neck with them."

If you believe the above, I've got a bridge for sale...
bigg

Nov 25, 2008
9:58 AM EDT
> If you believe the above, I've got a bridge for sale...

I'll sell you a 'Vista Capable' laptop with 512 MB of RAM.

I'll sell you a Vista laptop that doesn't need antivirus.

I'll sell you an 'iPod killing' Zune.

I'll sell you a 'Playstation and Nintendo killing' Xbox.

The list of outrageous statements from Microsoft exceeds even that of SCO.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 25, 2008
12:50 PM EDT
Except for the fact that Google is in the channel right now with a very credible cloud product and Microsoft is still coding theirs ...
Sander_Marechal

Nov 25, 2008
12:54 PM EDT
s/coding/assimilating from a hostile takeover/g

There. Fixed.
jacog

Nov 25, 2008
2:15 PM EDT
Well, this has not stopped Microsoft in the past... they are very good about coming into a market late with a shoddy product, and then somehow convincing the masses that theirs was the original, and that it's somehow better.
NoDough

Nov 25, 2008
3:02 PM EDT
Quoting:The list of outrageous statements from Microsoft exceeds even that of SCO.
Isn't one a subset of the other?
tracyanne

Nov 25, 2008
5:05 PM EDT
Quoting:I'll sell you an 'iPod killing' Zune.

I'll sell you a 'Playstation and Nintendo killing' Xbox.

notice anything about who's controlling the dialogue here.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2008
2:13 PM EDT
Xbox is probably more successful than most non-OS, non-Office offerings from MS. I still doubt they've made any money off of it, but it's not in Zune territory.

What I apppreciated yesterday was being offered Silverlight no less than a half-dozen times while I was trying to figure out just where MS is in their cloud-based office-suite deployment.

I didn't bite on Silverlight, but I also couldn't find any actual MS product that allows users to create and edit documents through a browser.
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2008
4:56 PM EDT
Silverlight will be big. It makes coding high quality Flash style application almost trivial (it makes coding low quality one even easier), for anyone using Visual Studio. Which means there will be lots of Silverlight based applications media players and other fripperies on the web soon.
gus3

Nov 26, 2008
5:32 PM EDT
Quoting:It makes coding high quality Flash style application almost trivial (it makes coding low quality one even easier)
In other words, twice the crap with half the effort!
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2008
6:07 PM EDT
@gus, that about sums it up
bigg

Nov 26, 2008
6:21 PM EDT
Not knowing much about Visual Studio, and having no reason to know anything about Visual Studio, isn't it somewhat expensive? As I recall, to get the 'real' version of VS you have to pay many hundreds of dollars.

Currently the problem for MS is that everyone has the Flash Player, but few have Silverlight. That has caused companies like NBC to drop Silverlight for Flash.

Microsoft will include Silverlight as part of Windows in order to fix that problem.
tuxchick

Nov 26, 2008
6:29 PM EDT
Not only that, VS locks you into the horrid Microsoft Foundation Classes, which guarantees un-portable code.
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2008
6:36 PM EDT
Quoting:VS locks you into the horrid Microsoft Foundation Classes

I've never use MFC, and I can guarantee that all of our code is portable to Mono on Linux.

edit:use
hkwint

Nov 27, 2008
2:55 PM EDT
Quoting:> If you believe the above, I've got a bridge for sale...

Nope, sorry, but not interested in the remaining of Galloping Gertie.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!