This person got off the at the wrong bus stop.

Story: What Are The Issues With Open Source Linux?Total Replies: 19
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Dec 09, 2008
12:34 AM EDT
Quoting:The other problem is that the Linux Operating System doesn't receive the same level of support as Windows does. That means that updates and security packages are released with each new version of the Operating System (OS), but not as periodic updates as in the case of Windows XP's Windows Update.

So I don't know what all these small patches I have been downloading and installing, if they are not updates and security patches. I guess when the little red arrow shows up saying there is update I should ignore it because it is lying to me because I am not paying red hat for support I don't get updates.

Quoting:The other problem is that many of the drivers made for determined hardware. Let's say, a printer is not created by people who have security in mind. This is specially important for a company who do not wish to find it's intellectual property is stolen each time they send something to the printing room.

I don't understand what this paragraph is saying. I am getting what is being said is that if you are using Linux and the manufacturer supplied driver has security flaws in it then people will be able to steal what you are printing? If this is the case I have a question, would this closed proprietary driver also apply to windows? If this is truly what is being said then this is a reason to switch to Linux, because other people can fix the security holes in the open printer drivers in Linux and not have to wait for the Manufacturer to get around to fixing it, if they ever do.

One last question, what does Runescape have to do with hacking Linux?
Sander_Marechal

Dec 09, 2008
2:53 AM EDT
Nothing. The entire article makes no sense.
tuxtom

Dec 09, 2008
2:55 AM EDT
It it weren't for that darn command line...
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2008
3:27 AM EDT
It's actually a series of articles, that segue into each other, it's quite confusing. I sort only to highlight the obvious FUD about Linux.
jacog

Dec 09, 2008
4:32 AM EDT
I can't understand why peopel write stuff like this. Someone enlighten me.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 09, 2008
4:53 AM EDT
Easy. Advertisement views.
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2008
4:55 AM EDT
Well if there's ads, I'm not seeing them, but I have Adblock enabled.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 09, 2008
5:38 AM EDT
Me too :-) But it has Google Ads on it.
bigg

Dec 09, 2008
10:23 AM EDT
> I can't understand why peopel write stuff like this. Someone enlighten me.

Alcohol. And brain damage. The same things that made him fall in love with Vista.
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2008
10:46 AM EDT
TA, I'd say this person fell off the bus. Or was flung.
azerthoth

Dec 09, 2008
11:22 AM EDT
And now that TA got ahold of him, we can change off the bus to under the bus.

Good response TA.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 09, 2008
12:09 PM EDT
Look, the site _sells_ security. They don't want people to use Linux because they think it will cut into their profits.

They want people to use Windows, because it is good for business.

Simple. Follow the money.
PaulFerris

Dec 09, 2008
12:45 PM EDT
One word: Truthiness. This article has a bunch of basic idiotic assumptions (one: security by obscurity works! Just ask anyone that doesn't do anything security related and you'll find a wealth of noise to back up the assumption).

It's poorly written and has the hallmark of someone who had their runescape experience ruined by some Linux-savvy hackers ;)

I'd assign this poor schmuck a novice rank and move on to something a little bit more intellectually stimulating, like perusing the latest lyrics of the Britney Spears musical collection.

Joy.

-=FeriCyde=-
dinotrac

Dec 09, 2008
1:09 PM EDT
Paul --

Note that he only has a problem with Open Source Linux.

That closed commercial Linux is fine.
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2008
1:13 PM EDT
Geez Paulie, you come back from the dead only to inflict a Godwin's equivalent on this poor innocent forum. Britney Spears indeed. *shudder*

Oh BTW. Hi! *wave*
dinotrac

Dec 09, 2008
1:29 PM EDT
TC --

Have you no shame? Brit's back and better than ever.

OK, low bar, but still...
hkwint

Dec 09, 2008
3:04 PM EDT
Well, I note a small oversight here. This bloke is not advertising Windows or wanting you to use Windows so he sells more anti-virus products. This bloke loudly and clearly advertised a distribution of Linux with a company behind it. I don't repeat that distro's name because I don't want to be part of the advertisement. This company markets 'professional' editions of its distribution.
PaulFerris

Dec 09, 2008
4:02 PM EDT
I haven't been dead, just mired in work.

Speaking of coming back, though, I'm very likely to post something (WARNING: Digital belching soon!) here.

I miss you guys -- it's been kind of crazy lately.

Tuxxy: Back atcha!

-=FeriCyde=-
krinpaus

Dec 09, 2008
4:08 PM EDT
I was curious as to "who" was behind hackingalert.com, so from "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page: http://www.hackingalert.com/forms/contact.php

(LOVE the name of the country right below the SUBMIT button, please fix that soon...)

we see that they are a "multinational", aka Crewind Technologies, and here's where we can see the masterminds behind hackingalert.com, and who knows what else: http://www.crewind.com/about-us.htm

One of their companies is LogoAngel, that particular "about us" gives a slightly different look at the company officials http://www.logoangel.com/about-us/aboutus.htm I liked the pic of "Ted Alice" underneath their (sure they're LogoAngel clients) "Client Testimonials".

NOTES

-I believe Chennai is a leading state of India in regards to IT, etc., and is that one of the states that is "pro-Open Source", if you will?

-Does Crewind accept Overseas Calls collect?

ColonelPanik

Dec 09, 2008
5:01 PM EDT
My Linux problems are almost always fixed (I don't like that term) before I know I have them. Thats about as good as support can get.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!