closer to 'the source' (Austinist response)

Story: Linux - Stop holding our kids backTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
henke54

Dec 11, 2008
11:58 AM EDT
response from k :
Quoting:Putting down all public school teachers for one teacher's stupid mistake? I am a teacher in AISD and I work amazing and talented people who care a lot about their students, no matter what we get paid. And yes, people make mistakes. I find this one funny, too. I do not, however, think it's a testament to all teachers being unintelligent.
http://austinist.com/2008/12/10/aisd_teacher_throws_fit_over...
Sander_Marechal

Dec 11, 2008
12:12 PM EDT
@henke:

That's not a reply to Helios but to one of the other commenters. Also, it is nowhere mentioned that this "k" is the Karin that wrote the letter to Helios.

Here is the post that "k" replied to:

Quoting:"When your a kid in public school you're lucky to be in contact with 2 teachers a day worth anything. If you had to be intelligent and capable the job would pay more than it does."
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 11, 2008
12:32 PM EDT
This whole thing has gotten out of hand, Ken opened his mouth before he should have and now everything he put in his post is not even true anymore..

And now a Teacher's reputation is ruined..I don't like it at all. It never should have been dragged out into the public like this...

tuxchick

Dec 11, 2008
12:37 PM EDT
Thanks Scott, I was just getting ready to say something similar. It has gotten out of hand, and now every cheesy sleazy "tech reporter" is all over getting cheap hits from it. "Karen" was never a given a chance. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm getting pretty [expletive deleted] tired of being part of a community that goes ballistic over every little mistake, and gleefully fires the nukes for every minor transgression, which is all the time because everything is a transgression.

I'm not too proud of my own self, as I contributed my share of snarks. This is not a good day for the so-called Linux community.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 11, 2008
1:04 PM EDT
Yeah, My editorial comment I want to take down..but I won't. I deserve for it to be there.

Its almost as if, in a sad way, Ken's title has become true.. :-(

jdixon

Dec 11, 2008
1:05 PM EDT
> And now a Teachers reputation is ruined...

I wouldn't go that far. This is a tempest in a teapot, and will blow over in a few days, as most Internet tempests do.

Ken's response was perfectly appropriate as a private response, as is his taking the matter to a supervisor. Going public with it was probably a mistake, to put it mildly.
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
It's a tempest in a teapot to everyone but the teacher.
softwarejanitor

Dec 11, 2008
2:45 PM EDT
I think Ken went too far in a couple of areas... First was bringing in the NEA into the issue. While I personally hate unions, and the NEA in particular, this is not the appropriate time to fight them. Second, the whole tone of his response was unecessarily defensive, combative and immature. While some of that was justified because the original letter was itself moronic and offensive, I believe Ken would have been better to take a higher road. That said, Ken sometimes reminds me of myself 10-20 years ago. Since then I've made efforts to try to be more calm and diplomatic. Here is hoping that age will bring more wisdom and eloquence to Ken without diminishing his energy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!