Helios:"It never was my intention to attack anyone personal"

Story: Linux - Stop holding our kids backTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
henke54

Dec 12, 2008
12:40 PM EDT
Quoting:"For whatever reason, this story took on a life of its own. By 10:30 AM, I had to turn my cell phone off. Poeple were getting my number from my business website and calling me with their comments and reactions.

Not all of them were particularly on my side.

I received calls from South Africa, The Netherlands, Croatia, The Land Down Under and Russia.

It's the one from New Zealand that bothered me the most.

The caller identified himself and then further identified himself as an editor for a well known magazine published in the UK. He was extremely to-the-point with his call.

He would donate $1000.00 immediately to The HeliOS Project if I would give him the name of the Teacher I blogged about.

I hung up the phone.
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/character-assasination...
moopst

Dec 12, 2008
2:58 PM EDT
Good move on Ken's part. It's not about harassing some teacher just because she's clueless and aggressive in her misdirected vitriol towards her students.
tuxchick

Dec 12, 2008
3:05 PM EDT
Yeah, with advocacy like this Microsoft doesn't need to lift a finger. The comments are horrible, what a bunch of vindictive dorks. "Love Linux or Be Punished!!" is the message. Thanks a lot gang, you can't buy that kind of negative advertising.

**edit** I should mention that Ken goofed and then tried to do the right thing and make amends, cool beans, hurrah. It's the firestorm of hateful comments that's keeping me bugged, geez, what is wrong with people? Are they all MS astroturfers, or just hateful dorks with nothing better to do?
dinotrac

Dec 12, 2008
3:12 PM EDT
TC -

Yes. Really sad when you consider the roll that Linux is on. I've been seeing jobs open up for "Open Source Strategists" in companies, and free software used hither and thither.

FOSS is going places. It's winning battles and soldiering on bravely in the war.

In that sort of military analogy, dimwit dorks should be viewed as traitors --

converts come from those who aren't already in the fold. Demonizing them keeps them out of the fold, effectively firing a shot for the other side.
bigg

Dec 12, 2008
3:18 PM EDT
I'd be hypocritical to not say that this hasn't been good for our community (given that I say the same thing about BN all the time).

The new post fills in some details not found in the original. The teacher was doing the things she was supposed to do. She may not be up to date on Linux, but she was trying to protect the students. If my son finds himself in a similar situation I only hope that there is a teacher such as Karen to make sure he is not doing things he shouldn't.

I don't know that the original post was a mistake (except the parts about the union) but this just further cements my view that the FOSS community needs to ask the question "so what does this mean" before jumping to conclusions.
tracyanne

Dec 12, 2008
3:54 PM EDT
Quoting:..but this just further cements my view that the FOSS community needs to ask the question "so what does this mean" before jumping to conclusions...

If only that would happen. The problem is there are way too many immature people out there, ready to add their often thoughtless, rude, unnecessary, and often just plain wrong, 3 h'pence worth. The number of people who castigated this teacher on her spelling, simply amazed me- it was a friggin typo for TOS violation sake. Do none of the dimwits never make typos?
bigg

Dec 12, 2008
4:08 PM EDT
> there are way too many immature people out there

I think that partially this is the type of people (geeks) but more than that, those who speak the loudest are often new to the community. They're just a little more passionate than the average Linux user. There's just too much concern that Microsoft will take away the good thing we have going, that they think the sky is falling no matter how minor the incident. Understandable, but inappropriate.
tuxchick

Dec 12, 2008
4:30 PM EDT
Quoting: Do none of the dimwits never make typos?

Of course not. Those are on purpose to show they're cool.
moopst

Dec 13, 2008
9:56 AM EDT
@TC: s/cool/kewl/
techiem2

Dec 13, 2008
4:28 PM EDT
s/kewl/l33t
tuxchick

Dec 13, 2008
9:26 PM EDT
s/Hey, that's funny!/lol

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!